Transportation and distribution management are components of supply chain management and logistics. Students who pursue a formal study in this area learn the most efficient and effective ways to help companies transport goods and materials from one location to another. Degrees are available at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
The following universities offer strong programs for students interested in transportation and distribution studies. Each was ranked highly by U.S. News & World Report for 2017.
Pennsylvania State University - University Park
|School of Highlight: For 2017, U.S. News & World Report ranked the undergraduate business program at Penn State tied at #23 in the nation.|
Pennsylvania State University in University Park includes the Smeal College of Business, which houses the Supply Chain and Information Systems Department. The department offers an undergraduate degree program in supply chain and information systems, as well as a Master of professional studies in supply chain management. U.S. News & World Report ranked Penn State tied at #50 among national universities for 2017.
Michigan State University in East Lansing
|School of Highlight: Michigan State University is home to one of the top-ranked supply chain management and logistics program in the country.|
In 2017, U.S. News & World Report ranked Michigan State University's supply chain management and logistics program number one in the nation. The Department of Supply Chain Management at the Eli Broad College of Business offers a Bachelor of Science and a Master of Science in Supply Chain Management. It also offers a Master of Business Administration degree program with concentrations in logistics management, operations management or procurement and sourcing strategy. A Doctor of Philosophy in Logistics or in Operations and Sourcing Management is also available.
Arizona State University in Tempe
|School of Highlight: The supply chain management program is fully accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business|
In 2017, U.S. News & World Report rated the undergraduate program in supply chain management at Arizona State University fifth in the country. The university is one of the largest in the United States, and its W.P. Carey Department of Supply Chain Management is nationally recognized. The department offers a Bachelor of Science in Supply Chain Management, a Master of Business Administration with a specialization in supply chain management and a Doctor of Philosophy in Supply Chain Management.
Baylor University in Waco, TX
|School Highlight: The Baylor Business School offers a bachelor's degree in supply chain management.|
At Baylor, students can earn a Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) in Supply Chain Management. In addition to the school's BBA core curriculum, students choose between electives in topics such as distribution management, project management, global supply chain management, procurement and consulting. Students also have the opportunity to participate in a supply chain management internship during the summer after junior year. For 2017, Baylor was tied at #71 among national universities by U.S. News & World Report.
Top Transportation and Distribution Management Schools in the U.S.
Here are some more universities with excellent educational offerings in topics related to transportation and distribution management:
- East Carolina University in Greenville, NC, offers a bachelor's degree in industrial distribution and logistics through the Department of Technology Systems.
- Ohio State University in Columbus, OH, was ranked #4 among undergraduate logistics programs and tied at #54 among national universities by U.S. News & World Report for 2017.
- Purdue University in West Lafayette, IN, boasts a 100% placement rate for graduates of the industrial management program within six months of graduation.
- The University of Maryland in College Park was ranked tied at #60 among national universities by U.S. News & World Report for 2017.
- University of Michigan in Ann Arbor was ranked #7 for its undergraduate supply chain management/logistics program for 2017, per U.S. News & World Report.
- At the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, faculty conduct high level research at the Global Supply Chain Institute.
Students who are interested in transportation and distribution can find relevant programs in logistics and supply chain management at schools ranked highly by U.S. News & World Report.