Master's degree programs in health or healthcare administration help students build management skills and prepare them for executive positions in medical facilities, insurance companies and nursing homes.
Each of the three schools profiled below ranked in the top five for offering best healthcare management programs, according to the U.S. News & World Report in 2015. Their programs cater to the needs of students new to the field as well as those who have job experience and are looking to further their careers.
University of Minnesota - Twin Cities in Minneapolis
|School Highlight: The University of Minnesota's School of Public Health also offers a joint MHA/JD in collaboration with the University's law school, and a joint MHA/MBA degree in collaboration with the University's Carlson School of Management.|
The University of Minnesota - Twin Cities was tied for #3 on the U.S. News & World Report's 2015 list of top universities in the category. The full-time master's program in health administration is designed for students with little or no previous healthcare work experience, and the curriculum concentrates on healthcare quality improvement, health economics, and health insurance. The university also offers an executive studies program for health care executives, physicians, and other professionals seeking to advance their administrative skills.
University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill
|School Highlight: The University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill's Gillings School of Global Public Health sponsors World Health and Populations, a top peer-reviewed, interdisciplinary journal in the field of public health.|
According to U.S. News & World Report's 2015 list of top schools with healthcare management programs, University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill was tied for #5 in the nation. The school offers a Master of Healthcare Administration as a residential program and an executive program. The residential MHA is a degree for students interested in careers in hospitals, government organizations, medical practices, consulting and insurance firms, and other settings for healthcare professionals. The executive program is meant for mid-career employees who wish to reach the highest executive positions in healthcare.
Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, VA
|School Highlight: At this school, students have access to the VCU Medical Center, the only Level 1 Trauma Center in the region.|
For 2015, U.S. News & World Report ranked Virginia Commonwealth University as tied for #3 among healthcare management programs. Through the School of Health Professions, students can earn a Master of Health Administration (MHA) or a Master of Science in Health Administration (MSHA). The MHSA program is offered in a hybrid format that combines online coursework with six on-campus sessions. Even health professionals who continue with full-time work while earning this degree can finish within 22 months.
Top Masters in Health Administration Programs
Take a look at some other schools that offer highly ranked master's degree programs in health administration:
- At Georgia State University in Atlanta, GA, students in the Institute of Health Administration have access to the Center for Health Services Research.
- For 2015, Ohio State University in Columbus and the University of Washington in Seattle tied for #10 on U.S. News & World Report's list of best schools to offer graduate programs in health care management.
- At the University of Florida in Gainesville, FL, 100% of MHA graduates in 2015 found jobs or fellowships within three months of graduating.
- The University of Iowa in Iowa City, IA, offers seven master's degree programs in health administration, including an executive program and three combined degree programs.
- The University of Missouri in Columbia offers the fourth-largest accredited MHA program in the country.
- The University of Southern California in Los Angeles, CA, offers a Diversity in Healthcare Leadership Initiative summer program.
For students who want to earn a master's degree in health administration, some of the country's best public and private universities offer MHA and/or MSHA programs.