Those interested in being a clinical psychologist need to have a doctoral degree in clinical psychology. Here we discuss some of the best schools in the nation with either ranked programs or programs that have something unique to offer.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Behavioral Sciences, General
- Clinical Psychology, General
- Cognitive Psychology and Psycholinguistics
- Cognitive Science
- Community Psychology
- Comparitive Psychology
- Counseling Psychology, General
- Environmental Psychology
- Experimental Psychology
- Family Psychology
- Forensic Psychology, General
- Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Medical Psychology
- Personality Psychology
- Physiological Psychology
- Psychology, General
- Psychometrics and Quantitative Psychology
- Social Psychology
The three top schools have all been ranked by U.S. News & World Report in 2016 for their clinical psychology graduate programs, and they all offer doctoral degrees in the field. These programs typically take five years or more and provide an educational experience that incorporates extensive clinical work and internships, along with general coursework.
University of California - Berkeley
|School Highlight: US News & World Report ranked the University of California at Berkeley's clinical psychology program as tied for second best in the nation in 2016.|
Berkeley's psychology department, a national leader in psychology education and ranked as one of the best in the country, offers a clinical science Ph.D. program that takes on average 4-6 years to complete. During the program, students are required to intern full-time for a year at an approved mental health facility. The program is designed to provide students with a deep understanding of the various physical, societal and cultural factors that can affect human behavior.
Harvard University in Cambridge, MA
|School Highlight: Harvard University's clinical psychology program was tied for 14th best in the country by the US News & World Report in 2016.|
The school offers a Ph.D. program in clinical psychology that trains students to become clinical scientists. The clinical psychology program takes at least five years to complete, with students typically finishing their thesis by the fourth year of the program. The program's primary focus is on intense psychopathology. Coursework, research, clinical practice and a year-long internship are combined in this program to give students a thorough background in clinical psychological practices.
Indiana University - Bloomington
|School Highlight: Campus facilities at the university include the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Clinic that will help students train in CBT.|
Indiana University offers a PhD in Psychology with seven specializations, including clinical science. Like with most other PhD programs, students are trained not only to address clinical problems but also to utilize skills related to the research and presentation of new clinical findings. Indiana University was tied for 14th place among schools with clinical psychology programs US News & World Report in 2016.
Top Schools with Clinical Psychology Ph.D. Programs
Here are few more schools that have top clinical psychology programs and some details on what sets them apart from other programs.
- The University of Maryland - College Park has an on-campus Clinical Psychology Clinic to help train students.
- The graduate psychology department at the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities in Minneapolis has consistently ranked among the top ten since comparative rankings were first established in 1957.
- The clinical psychology program at the University of Rochester in Rochester, NY, is affiliated with the Mt. Hope Family Center and the Children's Institute.
- The University of Texas - Austin emphasizes preparation for research and teaching careers.
- The University of Wisconsin - Madison tied for fourth place for clinical psychology study by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Vanderbilt University in Nashville, TN, has a clinical psychology program that offers nine areas of specialization, including developmental disabilities, psychopathology and quantitative analysis.
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute in Blacksburg, VA, hosts 17 labs, including the Infant-Language Emotion Attention Perception Lab and the Addictions Research Lab.
- Yale University in New Haven, CT, tied for fourth by U.S. News & World Report in 2016 among schools with clinical psychology programs.
For those interested in a career in clinical psychology, there are a lot of schools to consider around the country. The University of California - Berkeley, Harvard University, and other highlighted four-year institutions are some of the top schools based on their national rankings and what they have to offer doctoral students.