In general, formal education programs in tourism and travel services marketing operations teach students how to provide retail and customer service in the hotel and motel industries. Associate and/or bachelor's degree programs in tourism management and other closely related fields are available at colleges and universities around the country.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Resort Management
- Resort, Hotel, Motel, and Spa Management
- Restaurant Mgmt
- Travel and Tourism Management
Noteworthy programs can be found at the State University of New York in Delhi, University of South Carolina in Columbia and Bowling Green State University. Each of these schools was regionally or nationally ranked by U.S. News & World Report for 2017.
Delhi State University of New York (SUNY)
|School Highlight: Unique to the school is its Walt Disney College Program, which provides students with for-credit internships at Walt Disney World in Florida.|
The State University of New York (SUNY) at Delhi ranked 11th among the best public schools in the North, according to U.S. News & World Report for 2017. SUNY Delhi offers an Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) in Event Management program which has been certified by the American Society of Travel Agents. Students can also earn a Bachelor of Business Administration (B.B.A.) in Event Management with a specialization in travel and tourism management.
University of South Carolina - Columbia
|School Highlight: Research centers devoted to tourism management include the Center for Retailing and Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Travel & Tourism Industry Center.|
As designated by U.S. News & World Report for 2017, the flagship campus of the University of South Carolina (USC) ranked 49th among best public schools in the nation. USC's School of Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism Management offers bachelor's, master's and doctoral programs in tourism. These include a Bachelor of Science in Tourism Management and Master of International Hospitality and Tourism Management.
Bowling Green State University in Bowling Green, OH
|School Highlight: International internship opportunities are available for tourism students.|
For 2017, Bowling Green State was ranked #194 among all national universities and #103 among public schools by U.S. News & World Report. Undergraduates can earn a bachelor's degree in tourism, leisure & event planning, which includes courses such as hospitality law and principles of marketing. Students must also complete an internship prior to graduation. The program has been accredited by the Council on Accreditation of Parks, Recreation, Tourism and Related Professions (COAPRT).
Top Tourism and Travel Services Marketing Operations Schools
These schools also have strong tourism industry-related programs:
- At Central Connecticut State University in New Britain, CT, the B.S. in Hospitality and Tourism program includes coursework in operations, marketing, and event and tourism planning.
- At Montclair State University in Montclair, NJ, the School of Business Marketing Department offers an undergraduate program with a concentration in sports, events and tourism marketing.
- At Morrisville State College in Morrisville, NY, students in the travel and tourism program take school-sponsored trips to the Bahamas, Las Vegas and other hotel, restaurant and casino hot spots.
- The University of Hawaii at Manoa in Honolulu, HI, offers an online certificate program in travel industry management.
- At the University of Texas at San Antonio, Bachelor of Business Administration programs in sport, event and tourism management are available.
For students who want to study tourism and travel services marketing operations, there are well-regarded state universities around the country with educational offerings in the field.