Teachers wanting to further their education or bachelor's students looking to go straight to graduate school have a variety of excellent schools to look at. Master's and doctoral degree programs in education as well as online work are available at many schools across the nation.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Agricultural Education for Teachers
- Art Teacher Education
- Biology Education for Teachers
- Business Teacher Education
- Chemistry Teacher Education
- Drama and Dance Teacher Education
- Driver Safety Teacher Education
- English Teacher Education
- Foreign Language Education for Teachers
- French Language Teacher Education
- Geography Teacher Education
- German Language Teacher Education
- Health Occupations Teacher Education
- Health Teacher Education
- History Teacher Education
- Home Economics Teacher Education
- Industrial Arts Teacher Education
- Latin Teacher Education
- Mathematics Teacher Education
- Music Teacher Education
- Physical Education and Coaching
- Physics Teacher Education
- Psychology Teacher Education
- Sales and Marketing Teacher Education
- Science Teacher Education
- Social Science Teacher Education
- Social Studies Teacher Education
- Spanish Education for Teachers
- Speech Teacher Education
- Teaching, Computers
- Teaching, Reading
- Technical Teacher Education
- Vocational Teacher Education
Three of the top schools in the nation that offer elementary and secondary teacher education programs are Michigan State University (MSU), the University of Virginia (UVA) and Boston College (BC). MSU is top-ranked and offers students options for online learning. UVA offers several graduate degree options for teachers. BC offers a subject specialization with their master's.
Michigan State University in East Lansing
|School Highlight: The school offers an online master's degree program in teaching and curriculum.|
In 2017, U.S. News & World Report named MSU the top university in the U.S. for elementary and secondary teacher education. MSU's Department of Teacher Education at the College of Education offers a M.A. in Teaching and Curriculum. This 30-credit program may be completed on campus or through online coursework.
Students choose a combination of courses to form their concentration area, which may include K-12 education administration, literacy and language, or science and mathematics education. The department also offers a M.A. in Literacy Instruction. Students in this program may specialize in reading, writing instruction or children's literature.
University of Virginia in Charlottesville
|School Highlight: The Bachelor/Master of Teaching (B/MT) program can be completed in fewer than five years.|
In 2017, U.S. News & World Report ranked UVA tied for second among the best public universities in the nation. U.S. News also ranked UVA tied for the seventh-best university for secondary teacher education and the 10th-best for elementary teacher education in 2017.
UVA's Curry School of Education offers a postgraduate Master of Teaching program designed for those who already hold a bachelor's degree. The program is offered in a full time on-campus format only and may be completed in one-and-a-half to two years. The school also offers several Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs, which are designed as advanced training for teachers and educators beyond initial licensure. M.Ed. programs are offered in areas such as mathematics, English, health, and social studies.
Boston College in Chestnut Hill, MA
|School Highlight: Students in the Master of Arts in Teaching and Master of Science in Teaching degree programs can choose a subject area specialization.|
Boston College's graduate program in education is rated in the top 25 by U.S. News & World Report for 2017. The university offers a Master of Arts in Teaching and Master of Science in Teaching degree (M.A.T./M.S.T.) for liberal art students or sciences looking to teach at the high school. The degree also is useful to teachers looking for another expertise or teaching licensure. Boston College's M.A.T./M.S.T. specializes in the initial licensure to professional level after three years of teaching.
Top Teacher Education Master's Programs
Other schools offer excellent graduate education programs for elementary and secondary teachers like the ones listed below.
- Harvard University in Cambridge, MA ranks #2 (tied) among graduate schools offering education programs in 2017, per U.S. News & World Report.
- Baltimore, MD is home to Johns Hopkins University, which is ranked tied for #2 among graduate schools offering education programs by U.S. News & World Report in 2017.
- Pennsylvania State University at University Park, PA shows no GRE scores required for admission to the Master of Education in Teaching and Curriculum program with a minimum junior/senior GPA of 3.0.
- Stanford University in California is first among schools offering graduate programs in education by U.S. News & World Report in 2017.
- The University of California at Los Angeles offers the Teacher Education program, which is intended for educators in urban areas and can be earned in two years.
- The University of Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania has the School of Education connected to a laboratory school on campus for students in grades K-8.
- Nashville, TN, is home to Vanderbilt University, which is shown by U.S. News & World Report as fifth among those offering graduate programs in education in 2017.
The best graduate teaching schools in America presently include Michigan State University, the University of Virginia at Curry and Boston College. As shown, many schools across the country offer excellent programs as well.