School and Ranking Information
Human resource management studies at schools in or around Houston, TX, are mainly found as areas of concentration within business administration or management programs. The following schools are considered the top three in the Houston area based on rankings, level of study and number of degrees awarded:
- Winner: Houston Baptist University secures the #1 spot overall based on its ranking and because it is the only postsecondary institution of any kind in or within 100 miles of Houston that awards a master's degree in human resource management. It also offers the only standalone program in this field of study.
- Runner Up #1: Sam Houston State University is the first runner-up because it awards the second-highest number of degrees in human resource management and the highest number of bachelor's degrees in this field of study in the Houston area. It also has the highest graduation rate among the three schools.
- Runner Up #2: Lamar University places third because of the number of degrees awarded and its distance from Houston (approximately 78 miles). It awards a bachelor's degree in the field of study.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||Houston Baptist University||Sam Houston State University||Lamar University|
|Rankings||#68 (tie) Best Regional Universities in the West (2015)*||Undergraduate business programs ranked #338 (tie) among national universities (2014)*||Undergraduate business programs ranked #338 (tie) among national universities (2014)*|
|Location||Houston, TX||Huntsville, TX||Beaumont, TX|
|School Type||4-year, private not-for-profit||4-year, public||4-year, public|
|Tuition & Fees (2013-2014)||Graduate: $12,751**||Undergrad: $7,022 (in-state)
|Undergrad: $7,429 (in-state)
|Human Resource Management Degree Levels Offered||Master's||Bachelor's||Bachelor's|
|Human Resource Management Degrees Awarded (All Levels) in 2012-2013||21**||32**||10**|
|Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal program time) for 2007 Entering Class||44%**||51%**||35%**|
|Noteworthy||School of Business is accredited by the Association of Collegiate Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP)||College of Business programs accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) - International||Online bachelor's programs rank #47 among national universities (2015)*|
Sources: *U.S. News and World Report, **NCES College Navigator
Winner: Houston Baptist University
- Master of Science in Human Resource Management program offered online
- Human resource management classes are offered in the evenings
- School offers job and internship fairs, on-campus workshops and a career shadow program that provides students with mentors in their chosen field
Houston Baptist University offers a Master of Science in Human Resource Management program (MS-HRM). The program combines the principles of human resources and ethics with business management strategy. Some coursework includes organizational behavior for HRM, HR information technology, legal issues in HRM, ethics and marketing management for HRM.
Runner-Up #1: Sam Houston State University
- Offers small classes and opportunities for more personalized attention
- Students can join a student chapter of the Society for Human Resource Management
- Career Services department offers students career assessments and counseling, internship and work opportunities, resume and cover letter writing assistance, mock interviews and other related services
Sam Houston State University offers a Bachelor of Business Administration program with a major in human resource management. This 120-credit program provides students with the core knowledge in business and accounting, as well as human resource management principles, such as personnel policies, administration, labor problems, employment, training and evaluation.
Runner-Up #2: Lamar University
- Offers internship, job shadowing and mentoring programs
- Leadership development program helps students enhance their leadership skills and qualities
Lamar University also offers a human resource management major in its Bachelor of Business Administration program. This 120 credit-hour program provides student with knowledge in human resources processes such as interviewing, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and business management practices. The program also offers a specialization in management that contains courses in human resource management and organizational behavior and is offered fully online.