School and Ranking Information
There are no universities within 50 miles of Stockton, California, that offer computer programming programs; however, students can find degree programs at two-year colleges. The top schools, based on graduation rate and program availability, are Diablo Valley College, Ohlone Community College and Las Positas College.
- Winner : Diablo Valley College has the highest graduation rate of all the schools offering computer programming programs, according to the National Center of Education Statistics (NCES). The college offers an associate degree in computer science. Certificates for specialties such as Java are also available.
- Runner-Up #1 : Ohlone Community College has the second highest graduation rate. It offers an associate degree in computer programming rather than computer science. Students here are encouraged to think creatively and critically to solve computer related problems.
- Runner-Up #2 : While Las Positas College does offer computer programming associate degrees and certificates, it has a relatively unpopulated program. Only a few people graduate from these classes each year, making quality a difficult thing to judge. Las Positas offers the lowest tuition but also has the lowest graduation rate.
School Comparison Table
|Category||Diablo Valley College||Ohlone Community College||Las Positas College|
|Location||Pleasant Hill, California (43 miles from Stockton)||Fremont, California (46.5 miles from Stockton)||Livermore, California (30.2 miles from Stockton)|
|School Type||2-year, public||2-year, public||2-year, public|
|Undergraduate Tuition and Fees (2012-2013)||$1,298 (in-state)*, $6,758 (out-of-state)*||$1,162 (in-state)*, $6,394 (out-of-state)*||$1,138 (in-state)*, $6,562 (out-of-state)*|
|Computer Programming Award Levels Offered||Certificate; associate degree||Certificate; associate degree||Certificate; associate degree|
|Computer Programming Degrees and Certificates Awarded (All Levels) in 2012||64*||4*||1*|
|Most Popular Computer Programming Programs (2011-2012)||Certificate in Computer Programming (56 awarded)*||Certificate in Computer Programming (3 awarded)*||Certificate in Computer Programming (1 awarded)*|
|Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal program time) for 2009 Entering Class||37% (14% transfer-out rate)*||35% (18% transfer-out rate)*||31% (16% transfer-out rate)*|
Sources: *NCES College Navigator
Find schools that offer these popular programs
Winner: Diablo Valley College
- 76% retention rate for first-time students from 2011-2012, according to NCES
- The school offers two traditional campuses, as well as an online campus
Diablo Valley College's Math and Computer Science Division offers an associate degree in computer science, as well as certificates of achievement in C++ programming and Java programming. The computer science program includes courses such as programming, advanced programming with C and C++, object-oriented programming and Java programming. Both the programming certificates include 12 credits. Within the programming courses, students examine modular design, control structures, data types and coding style.
Runner-Up #1: Ohlone Community College
- The college boasts more than 300 international students
- In addition to an online campus, students can find traditional campuses in Fremont and Newark
Ohlone Community College offers certificates and associate degrees in computer programming. Students may select an associate degree in computer studies or a certificate with a major in computer programming (software development) or computer programming (web/internet). The major requires students to complete 30 units in programming and computer courses, in addition to the general education courses. Within the software development program, students complete coursework in object-oriented programming, assembly language programming and XML. Internet/web programming students delve into .NET programming, PERL programming and AJAX.
Runner-Up #2: Las Positas College
- 77% retention rate for full-time students from 2011-2012, according to NCES
- Students have access to the Computer Science Club
Las Positas College offers two associate degrees and certificate programs in computer programming. Students may choose an associate degree or certificate program in computer programming or an associate degree or certificate in computer programming for the web. The associate degree program requires students to complete 60 units in courses such as computing fundamentals, Java programming and C++ programming. Within the associate degree program, students complete a capstone project. The computer programming certificate requires 30 units, while the computer programming for the web certificate program includes 34 units.
Other School Options
While it's not a university, the San Joaquin Delta College, in Stockton, offers a Certificate of Achievement in Computer Programming. The 47.5-unit program includes courses in computer science, computer operating systems, systems analysis and programming. Within the curriculum, students will explore at least two programming languages.