Students interested in studying public administration in Henderson, NV, have few options within the city but can travel to nearby Las Vegas to find other options. The following schools are considered the top three in and near Henderson based on program offerings, school type and student population:
- Winner: The University of Nevada - Las Vegas earns the top spot because its graduate public administration program is nationally ranked, it has the highest graduation rates among the top three schools and it awards the highest number of degrees in public administration in the area. It is also the only school in the Henderson area to award master's degrees in public administration. Bachelor's degree and postgraduate certificate programs are also available.
- Runner Up #1: Nevada State College is the first runner up because it is the only school actually located in Henderson that awards degrees in public administration. It also has the second-highest graduation rate among the top three schools. This college offers a bachelor's degree program in public administration in law enforcement.
- Runner Up #2: The College of Southern Nevada lands in the third spot because it is the largest of the schools in terms of student enrollment and has the lowest tuition of these schools. The school's associate's degree program in business management has an emphasis area in public sector relations.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||University of Nevada - Las Vegas||Nevada State College||College of Southern Nevada|
|Ranking||121st for graduate public affairs programs in 2012, nationwide*||N/A||N/A|
|Location||Las Vegas, NV (10.9 miles from Henderson)||Henderson, NV||Las Vegas, NV (16.1 miles from Henderson)|
|School Type||Four-year, public||Four-year, public||Four-year, public|
|Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)||$6,705 (undergraduate, in-state), $20,615 (undergraduate, out-of-state); $5,500 (graduate, in-state), $19,410 (graduate, out-of-state)**||$4,498 (undergraduate, in-state), $14,773 (undergraduate, out-of-state)**||$2,700 (undergraduate, in-state), $9,345 (undergraduate, out-of-state)**|
|Public Administration Degree Levels Offered||Bachelor's and master's degrees; postgraduate certificate||Bachelor's degrees||Associate's degree**|
|Public Administration Degrees Awarded (All Levels) in 2011-2012||75**||N/A**||N/A**|
|Most Popular Public Administration Program in 2011-2012||Master's in Public Administration (36 awarded)**||N/A**||N/A**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2006 Entering Class||41%**||16%**||9%**|
|Noteworthy||Home of the UNLV Nonprofit, Community, and Leadership Initiative||Newest higher-learning institution in Nevada||Offers academic counselors dedicated to the public services school|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report, **NCES College Navigator
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Cultural Studies
- Ethnic and Gender Studies
- Geography and Cartography
- Human and Consumer Sciences
- Human and Social Services
- Liberal Arts, Humanities, and General Studies
- Military Studies
- Parks, Recreation and Leisure Studies
- Political Science
- Public Administration
- Religious Studies
- Social Science and Studies
- Social Studies and History
- Theological, Religious, and Ministerial Studies
Winner: University of Nevada - Las Vegas
- UNLV had an 81% acceptance rate in 2011, according to U.S. News & World Report
- NCES statistics showed that 92% of full-time beginning undergraduates received financial aid in 2011-2012
UNLV's School of Environmental and Public Affairs (SEPA) is new, formed by the Regents in 2009 to synthesize public administration and nonprofit management with policy analysis, public and urban affairs, and collaborative governance. SEPA offers undergraduate and graduate degree programs, including a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Public Administration, with the option to concentrate in fire safety administration. The graduate offering is a Master of Public Administration, which the National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration accredits.
The B.S. includes coursework covering government and personnel information, ethics, and computer technology. Multicultural and international courses, along with six electives are further required. The 36-credit master's program includes courses in organization theory, policy analysis, and decision making. Students without administrative experience must complete a three-credit internship. UNLV also offers a PhD in Public Affairs and a graduate certificate in public management; the latter option includes courses and seminars in public administration principles, organizational theory, fiscal administration, and personnel administration.
Runner-Up #1: Nevada State College
- For the 2011-2012 school year, 87% of first-time undergraduates received financial aid, according to NCES
- The Liberal Arts & Sciences building is equipped with smart technology
NSC, through its School of Liberal Arts & Sciences, offers a Bachelor of Public Administration in Law Enforcement. The program includes 36 credits of major requirements that are divided up among leadership and public administration, law enforcement, and organizational management courses. The 15 credits of public administration courses examine leadership and administration, organizational communication, personnel administration, and law enforcement dilemmas. Additional courses include legal issues, mass media, executive leadership, and organizational behavior.
Runner-Up #2: College of Southern Nevada
- CSN offers more than 200 certificate and degree programs in traditional and online formats
- Lowest tuition costs of the three schools profiled, according to NCES figures
The School of Business, Hospitality, and Public Services at CSN allows its student to earn an Associate of Applied Science in Business Management with an emphasis in public sector relations. The business management program emphasizing public sector relations requires the completion of 61 credits, with 36 credits covering special program requirements. The program attempts to provide graduates with focused knowledge in public sector administration decision making and corporate and public policy. The program's training courses provide hands-on experience for students to supervise a company and its human, physical, and capital assets.