School and Ranking Information
There are few schools located within a 50-mile radius of Long Beach with programs in human resource management. The following schools are considered the top three based on rankings, location and degree levels available in the field:
- Winner: Loyola Marymount University, located in Los Angeles, takes the top spot for its regional and national rankings from U.S. News & World Report in 2012, AACSB accreditation and graduation rate.
- Runner Up #1: California State University in Long Beach is the first runner up for its tuition rates and location.
- Runner Up #2: La Sierra University, found in Riverside, receives third place for its program level variety in the field and the business school's small class sizes.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||Loyola Marymount University||California State University - Long Beach||La Sierra University|
|Rankings 2012||Third among schools in the West*
87th among undergraduate business programs, national*
14th among schools with the best value, national*
58th among part-time MBA programs, national*
|Fourth among top public schools, national*
28th among schools in the West*
233rd among undergraduate business programs, national*
184th among part-time MBA programs, national*
|Location||Los Angeles, CA (18 miles from Long Beach)||Long Beach, CA||Riverside, CA (42 miles from Long Beach)|
|School Type||4-year, private not-for-profit||4-year, public||4-year, private not-for-profit|
|Tuition & Fees 2012-2013||$39,125 (undergraduate)**
|$6,052 (undergraduate, in-state)**
$17,710 (undergraduate, out-of-state)**
|Human Resources Management Degrees Offered||Bachelor's and master's degrees||Bachelor's and master's degrees||Bachelor's and master's degrees|
|Human Resource Management Degrees Awarded (All Levels) in 2011-2012||1**||N/A||5**|
|2011-2012 Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time)||77%**||54%**||45% (21% transfer-out rate)**|
|Noteworthy||Out of 35 McGowen Scholars in the nation, six students from the College of Business Administration have been given the $18,000 scholarship***||In the last 12 years, over 950 human resources management students have been involved in a job shadow program with renowned companies such as the Boeing Company and United Healthcare****||The School of Business offers a professional MBA in which students stay at their workplace to study and can tailor the program to the needs of their job*****|
Sources: *U.S. World & News Report, **NCES College Navigator, ***Loyola Marymount University, ****California State University - Long Beach, *****La Sierra University
Winner: Loyola Marymount University
- Six faculty members of the College of Business Administration have been honored with Fulbright Awards
- Over 90% of the 60 full-time CBA faculty members hold Ph.D.s, per the school's website
- The MBA program has a student to faculty ratio of 8:1, per the school's website
- 70% of MBA students are enrolled part-time, per the schools website
- College of Business Administration is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) International
The College of Business Administration (CBA) offers a Bachelor of Business Administration in Management with a human resources track and a Master of Business Administration (MBA) with a focus on human resources management. The CBA enrolls about 1,300 undergraduate and 300 graduate students each year. The MBA can be earned full-time, part-time (on weekday evenings), or through the Saturday-only Executive MBA program.
To help with tuition, scholarships and assistantships are available. Students and alumni have access to career services such as workshops, career fairs and job search support.
Runner-Up #1: California State University - Long Beach
- The College of Business Administration has an 80% graduation rate, per the school's website
- Alumni have held upper-level management positions with companies like Toyota Motors and Apple
- The Human Resources Management program is guided by an advisory board of prominent local professionals
- The college is accredited by AACSB International
California State University - Long Beach offers a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with a concentration in human resources management and an MBA with a human resources management specialization. Students interested in earning an MBA while continuing their professional career can also choose between three special programs: the state-supported evening MBA, Saturday MBA, and accelerated one-year MBA.
The College of Business Administration has several student organizations, including the Human Resource Management Association. The college gives students access to scholarships, internships (some of which are paid and available for credit), and a center for professional development. Graduates can join a professionally active alumni association and benefit from career counseling, discounts to the university's arts programs, and library and gym access.
Runner-Up #2: La Sierra University
- The School of Business has an active chapter of the Society for Human Resource Management
- The school is actively working toward accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs
- La Sierra is a Seventh-day Adventist Christian school which places emphasis on serving others and being active in local society
La Sierra University's Tom and Vi Zapara School of Business keeps class sizes small (under 30 students) in order to give students personal attention. The School of Business offers a Bachelor of Arts in Human Resource Management and an MBA with a concentration in human resources management. MBA students can enroll part-time or full-time for on-campus courses, or can participate in the Professional MBA program.
Business students benefit from the school's active business club, internships, and events with potential employers. The school also helps students gain access to scholarships, internships, and jobs. Alumni stay connected through an array of online social media.