School and Ranking Information
There are only a few public or private, non-profit schools in Jacksonville offering degrees in marketing. The following schools are considered the top three based on their rankings, program levels offered and number of degrees awarded in marketing:
- Winner: University of North Florida, a public school, is the top choice because of its Regional Universities (South) ranking by U.S. News & World Report. It offers a bachelor's degree.
- Runner Up #1: Jacksonville University, also regionally ranked, is the first runner up because of its AACSB International accreditation. It offers a bachelor's degree.
- Runner Up #2: Coming in at number three is Florida State College at Jacksonville, which offers a technical certificate and an associate's degree. It's highly ranked because of the number of associate's degrees it awarded in 2013.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||University of North Florida||Jacksonville University||Florida State College at Jacksonville|
|Rankings||41st for Regional Universities (South) in 2013*||53rd for Regional Universities (South) in 2013*||N/A|
|Location||Jacksonville, FL||Jacksonville, FL||Jacksonville, FL|
|School Type||4-year, public||4-year, private not-for-profit||4-year, public|
|Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)||$6,235 (undergraduate, in-state),
$20,694 (undergraduate, out-of-state)**
|$29,100 (undergraduate)**||$2,790 (undergraduate, in-state),
$9,903 (undergraduate, out-of-state)**
|Marketing Program Levels Offered||Bachelor's degree||Bachelor's degree||Technical certificate; associate's degree|
|Marketing Degrees and Certificates Awarded (All Levels) in 2011-2012||81**||18**||1 certificate (degrees awarded data unavailable)**|
|Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal program time) for 2005 Entering Class||50%**||40%**||32%**|
|Noteworthy||Coggin College of Business named a top business school by the Princeton Review in 2013***||Only North Florida business school accredited by AACSB International (the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business)****||Ranked 5th for number of associate's degrees awarded by a 4-year public school in 2013*****|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report, **NCES College Navigator, ***University of North Florida, ****Jacksonville University, *****Community College Week
Winner: University of North Florida
- In 2011, marketing was one of the university's most popular majors, according to U.S. News & World Report
- Career Services Department provides job search assistance and internship and volunteer opportunities, as well as career-related events and job fairs
- Students can join the American Marketing Association student organization
The University of North Florida offers a Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) in Marketing program through its Coggin College of Business. In addition to general business courses, such as financial management and legal environment in business, the program includes marketing-specific courses in marketing research, strategic marketing, consumer behavior and marketing electives. Students must also complete a public speaking course.
Runner-Up #1: Jacksonville University
- Internship opportunities are available
- The school also offers a minor in marketing
- Marketing is one of the most popular majors at the school, according to 2011 data from U.S. News & World Report
Jacksonville University's Davis College of Business also offers a BBA with a marketing major. The program includes core business courses as well as marketing courses in advertising management, sales and customer relationship management and marketing strategy. Optional marketing courses include retail management, consumer behavior, international marketing and marketing research methods.
Runner-Up #2: Florida State College at Jacksonville
- The business administration program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs
- The Career Development Center provides career and academic planning services, such as aptitude tests, academic advising, career research, counseling and workshops
- Distance learning options are available
Florida State College at Jacksonville offers an associate's degree program in business administration with a marketing or marketing operations focus. Students can also earn a technical certificate in marketing or marketing operations without completing the degree program. The business administration degree program includes courses in financial and managerial accounting, economics and business fundamentals. Marketing courses include advertising, marketing principles and salesmanship.