School and Ranking Information
Marketing studies in the city of Nashville, TN, are offered mainly by private, nonprofit institutions. The following schools are the top three in Nashville for marketing degree programs based on relevant program rankings, student population and undergraduate graduation rates:
- Winner: Vanderbilt University comes in first due to its high national ranking and graduate business program ranking as well as its level of study offered and number of degrees awarded. It also has the highest graduation rate among the schools. Marketing is an area of concentration found in the school's Master of Business Administration (MBA) program.
- Runner Up #1: Belmont University is named as the first runner up because of its high regional ranking, graduation rate and program accreditation. The bachelor's degree program in business administration offers a concentration in marketing.
- Runner Up #2: Lipscomb University is third among the schools because, while it has a high regional ranking, its business or marketing programs are unranked. The school does have the lowest tuition of the three institutions. Like Belmont University, Lipscomb University offers a marketing major in its Bachelor of Business Administration program.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||Vanderbilt University||Belmont University||Lipscomb University|
|Rankings (2013)|| 17th among national universities*
30th among national graduate business schools*
| 7th among regional universities - South*
233rd among undergraduate business programs nationally*
2nd among up-and-coming schools nationally*
|19th among regional universities - South*|
|Location||Nashville, TN||Nashville, TN||Nashville, TN|
|School Type||4-year, private not-for-profit||4-year, private not-for-profit||4-year, private not-for-profit|
|Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)||$41,896 (graduate)**||$26,130 (undergraduate)**||$24,754 (undergraduate)**|
|Marketing Degree Levels Offered||Master's degree||Bachelor's degree||Bachelor's degree|
|Marketing Degrees Awarded (All Levels) in (2011-2012)||43**||15**||22**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal program time) for 2006 Entering Class||92% (graduate student graduation rate unavailable)**||67%**||56%**|
|Noteworthy||Over 500 companies have a recruiting relationship with VU MBA students***||Only private undergraduate business program in Tennessee accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)||Has chapter of Delta Mu Delta, national business honor society for business students|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report, **NCES College Navigator, ***Vanderbilt University.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Winner: Vanderbilt University
- Owen Graduate School of Management ranks in the top 10% of all schools accredited by the AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business)
- Has 33 student clubs related to business
- MBA students can enroll in courses at the university's schools of law, divinity or education for free
Students can earn a Master of Business Administration with a concentration in marketing at Vanderbilt University's Owen Graduate School of Management. Having received a grade of A in MBA rankings from Bloomberg Businessweek in 2011, Owen boasts a 9:1 student-faculty ratio. The MBA program, which is only offered on a full-time basis, consists of 62 credit hours and usually takes two years to complete. The marketing concentration consists of two required courses and four electives. As part of their core requirements, all marketing students must take a course in ethics or corporate responsibility and sustainability.
Owen offers scholarships specifically for MBA applicants. Any full-time, post-bachelor's degree work experience is taken into consideration by the admissions committee. The Owen Entrepreneur Center offers money to qualified students to help start their own businesses. The school also operates an optional Leadership Development Program.
Runner-Up #1: Belmont University
- Rated in Top 100 among undergraduate business schools by Bloomberg Businessweek
- Has a chapter of the American Marketing Association
- Has 11 undergraduate student business organizations
Belmont University's College of Business Administration offers a 128-credit program leading to a Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) with a concentration in marketing. According to U.S. News & World Report, business administration/management operations was the third most popular undergraduate major at BU in 2011. Students may choose to complete an internship to fulfill one of three required marketing elective courses. Internships, some of which may be paid, are encouraged for juniors and seniors; the school's 'CareerConnector' service can help students locate appropriate internship programs. All BBA students must complete a course in international business. Belmont offers a study abroad program, participation in which may be applied toward completion of the international business course requirement.
Runner-Up #2: Lipscomb University
- Two service learning experiences are required
- College of Business is a member of the AACSB and is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs
Through the Department of Marketing at its College of Business, Lipscomb University offers a program leading to a Bachelor of Business Administration with a marketing major. Students can concentrate in corporate marketing, digital marketing, marketing for entrepreneurs or professional sales. In addition to general education and business core courses, marketing majors must complete 21 credit hours of marketing courses. Students also participate in two non-credit service learning courses. In keeping with LU's affiliation with the Churches of Christ, students must complete four Bible-related courses in order to graduate.