The field of film studies is interdisciplinary, involving the history of film, its cultural impact and analysis of storytelling, and graduates are prepared for careers in museums, the film industry or film criticism. Students interested in filmmaking can enroll in film studies undergraduate and graduate programs offered through several 4-year universities.
10 Schools with Film Studies Programs
The following 4-year schools offer degree programs in the field:
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Degrees Offered||Undergraduate Tuition (2015-2016)*|
|University of Southern California||Los Angeles, CA||4-year, Private||Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate||$50,277|
|New York University||New York, NY||4-year, Private||Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate||$47,750|
|University of California - Los Angeles||Los Angeles, CA||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate||$12,763 (In-state); $37,471 (Out-of-state)|
|Chapman University||Orange, CA||4-year, Private||Bachelor's, Master's||$47,260|
|Loyola Marymount University||Los Angeles, CA||4-year, Private||Bachelor's, Master's||$42,795|
|University of California - Berkeley||Berkeley, CA||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Doctorate||$13,431 (In-state); $38,139 (Out-of-state)|
|University of California - Santa Cruz||Santa Cruz, CA||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate||$13,461 (In-state); $38,169 (Out-of-state)|
|American University||Washington, D.C.||4-year, Private||Bachelor's, Master's||$43,103|
|Wesleyan University||Middletown, CT||4-year, Private||Bachelor's||$49,274|
|Pratt Institute||Brooklyn, NY||4-year, Private||Bachelor's, Master's||$46,586|
*Source: National Center for Education Statistics
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Cinematography and Film Production
- Film and Cinema Studies
University Selection Criteria
A few important considerations for choosing a school include:
- Students hoping to enter the film industry should look for programs that offer production courses, such as cinematography, directing and script development to best prepare for a future career.
- Networking and internships can be crucial assets when breaking into the field, so students should look for programs that offer these opportunities.
- Students may prefer a school that has frequent contact with their alumni through presentations, conferences and special events - many of the strongest film programs have produced famous and successful filmmakers who may be able to offer help and advice.
- Whether interested in production or research, proper facilities can be a determining factor when deciding between film studies programs. Those passionate about film production should seek programs that have an adequate amount of filming equipment.
Bachelor of Arts in Film Studies
Students can specialize their study through elective courses in a specific genre, filmmaker, culture or production courses. In some programs, seniors produce a final project, which may be a research paper, a screenplay or a film.
Master of Arts in Film Studies
Master's degree programs in film studies are focused in the cultural impact of film, its history and preservation. Though not always required, universities may prefer applicants who have a background in film studies or in the field.
Doctorate Degree in Film Studies
Doctoral candidates must pass qualifying examinations and complete a research dissertation to graduate. Depending on the program, candidates may have the opportunity to participate in film production, though it is not emphasized in any program. Programs typically have a foreign language requirement.
Film studies programs are available at the bachelor's, master's and doctorate degree levels from many public and private institutions. When searching for a program, students should consider things like a program's facilities and equipment, as well as networking and internship opportunities.