Accelerated MSN Programs for Non-Nurses in California

Sep 04, 2019

If you do not have an undergraduate degree in nursing and are not a registered nurse, you can still earn a Master of Science in Nursing degree. Accelerated master's entry programs in nursing are designed for those who don't have a nursing background, but who still want to quickly earn a master's degree in nursing and want to take the RN licensing exam (NCLEX-RN) as well. In this article, we will discuss specific accelerated entry-level master of nursing programs that are located in California.

California Accelerated MSN Programs for Non-Nurses

University of California - Irvine

The accelerated master's entry program at the University of California - Irvine is especially for those who have non-nursing bachelor's degree, and at the end of your program you will earn a MS in Nursing Science degree. This is a 2-year program that will include coursework about such subjects as compassionate care, maternity care, nursing leadership, and disease prevention. You will also have opportunities to work with the UCI Health medical center and within the local community. In this program, you can also achieve a concentration in community and population health nursing.

University of California - San Francisco

At the University of California - San Francisco, you will be able to earn your MSN degree in only 3 years without having a bachelor's in nursing degree. The first year of this program will be spent taking coursework at an accelerated pace, including courses on pharmacology, community nursing, and pathophysiology, and at the end of this year, you will be ready to take the NCLEX-RN licensing exam. The next 2 years of the program will consist of specialty training in pediatric primary care, public health nursing, or health policy, among others. Over the course of your program, you will also be required to complete clinical rotations around the San Francisco Bay Area.

San Francisco State University

The accelerated entry-level MSN program at San Francisco State University can be completed in only 2 years with summer sessions. At the end of this program, you will graduate with both a bachelor's in nursing and an MSN degree, and you will be prepared to pass the NCLEX-RN licensing exam after 1 and half years in the program. You will also be able to choose a specialty area, such as clinical nurse specialist, nursing administration, or community health. This program also offers a family nurse practitioners certification option, which consists of 5 additional classes that aim to help you achieve California NP certification and national board certification.

Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science

The entry-level master's program for non-nurses at Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science, which is located in Los Angeles, California, can be completed in only 2 years. This research-focused program will feature coursework in such topics as medical surgery, mental health, and nursing research, and you will also complete internships and residencies. At the end of your fifth semester, you will be ready to take the NCLEX-RN licensing exam.

Western University

In Pomona, California, Western University offers an accelerated entry-level program for those with little to no healthcare experience. This is a 2-year long program that is delivered in only 6 semesters. You will take classes that center on nursing fundamentals, nursing for adults, health assessment, and other nursing basics. Western University also works with several clinical partners, including hospitals and medical centers in Los Angeles, San Bernardino, and Orange, and you will be able to complete clinical hours at these partner facilities. When you have completed this program, you will receive an MSN degree and will be ready to take the NCLEX licensing examination.

Common Admittance Requirements for the Accelerated MSN Programs

Although you will not need a bachelor's degree in nursing to apply to an accelerated MSN program, you will need to have completed prerequisite coursework. Each program will have its own prerequisite requirements, but common courses needed include anatomy, microbiology, psychology, statistics and physiology. Other common application materials include transcripts, an application, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. The GRE is not usually required, but international students will need to take the TOEFL exam.

Accelerated entry-level master programs in nursing will accept you without a bachelor's degree in nursing and without prior nursing experience; however, they do require several kinds of prerequisite coursework. These programs will lead to an MSN degree and will prepare you to become a licensed nurse.

Next: View Schools
Created with Sketch. Link to this page

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?