Animal Careers for Introverts

Jan 18, 2020

Introverts who tend to be overwhelmed by certain social events may find peace working with animals. Learn about some of the animal career options for introverts, including the job duties and education requirements for each.

Career Options for Introverted Animal Lovers

Introverts tend to recharge and gain energy from being alone. Introverts may prefer to have a career that requires minimal social interaction and allows them to work alone. For those introverts who enjoy working with animals there are several different career options, some of which we have listed below.

Job Title Median Salary (2018)* Job Growth (2018-2028)*
Veterinary Assistants and Laboratory Animal Caretakers $27,540 19%
Zoologists and Wildlife Biologists $63,420 5%
Animal Trainers $29,290 13%
Veterinary Technologists and Technicians $34,420 19%
Animal Care and Service Workers $23,950 16%

Source: *U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Career Information for Introverted Animal Lovers

Veterinary Assistants and Laboratory Animal Caretakers

Veterinary assistants and laboratory animal caretakers may work with a small team of other veterinary technicians, but for the most part work independently to care for animals in a clinic or lab. They are responsible for feeding, bathing and exercising the animals as needed, cleaning cages and examination areas, helping restrain animals during procedures and giving animals medication. They may also help collect blood or tissue samples from the animals for lab tests. These workers usually need a high school diploma and on-the-job training.

Zoologists and Wildlife Biologists

Zoologists and wildlife biologists study a variety of wildlife. Depending on their area of interest, they may research and conduct experiments to learn about a particular species' habitat, behavior, social characteristics, physical characteristics and more. Some of these scientists may also look at the impact that humans are having on a species' ecosystem, and try to generate new ideas to contribute to the conservation of the animal. These scientists may work alone at times, but for safety purposes usually work with a team of researchers out in the field. Their work may require a lot of quiet as they observe animals in their natural surroundings, which could be attractive to introverts. Zoologists and wildlife biologists usually need a master's or Ph.D. to conduct independent research, but some jobs exist for those with a bachelor's degree.

Animal Trainers

Animal trainers tend to have some social interactions with the owners of their clients, but for the most part work alone to train a particular animal. They may work with dogs, horses, marine mammals and more to teach them how to respond to a particular signal. Animal trainers may use their voice, hand motions or whistles to signal a particular action on the animal's part. They may train animals as service animals for injured or disabled people, for entertainment purposes, such as a movie, or for competition. Animal trainers will also provide basic care for the animals as they are working with them. Most of these trainers have a high school diploma, but some may need a bachelor's degree.

Veterinary Technologists and Technicians

Veterinary technicians are a step above veterinary assistants or laboratory animal caretakers, and veterinary technologists are a step above technicians as far as education goes. Both positions work under a veterinarian's supervision, but veterinary technologists tend to work in a lab setting, while veterinary technicians may have some limited interaction with animal owners. Both positions help provide nursing care for animals, observe the animal's behavior, collect lab samples, conduct lab tests and administer medications and/or vaccines to animals as needed. Veterinary technicians need a 2-year degree, while veterinary technologists need a 4-year degree. Both positions generally need to pass a state-specific credentialing exam.

Animal Care and Service Workers

Animal care and service workers are a broad group of workers who specialize in caring for nonfarm animals, such as pets. This group includes groomers, pet sitters, kennel attendants, zookeepers and more. Again, these workers may have some contact with the animal's owners, but overall work solely with the animal to provide basic care, like feeding, bathing, grooming and exercise. They also monitor the animal's behavior and check for any signs of illness or injury. Animal care and service workers usually need a high school diploma and some animal experience, but learn on-the-job.

Next: View Schools

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?