As tax laws and regulations have become more complex, the demand for individuals with degrees concentrated on taxation has increased. As a result, many top universities have started offering online degree programs designed to allow students to work independently. You'll get an in-depth look at three top programs that offer online master's in taxation degrees, along with a bit of information about other top programs.
The Taft University System - William Howard Taft University
When it comes to online taxation degree programs, William Howard Taft University is mentioned among other top programs. Those who wish to gain admission into the program will need to have a bachelor's degree along with three years of work experience within taxation or accounting. Since many students go into their program years later, the GPA that is earned through any given bachelor's program is not a barrier for entry. Student's who decide to enroll in the university's two-year program will pay a locked in rate of $445 per credit, with a minimum graduation requirement of thirty credits.
Once admitted into the program, students will acquire the education and skills necessary to gain entry into many careers within the field of taxation and have a better chance of advancement within the job they select. Through the university's online program, students may engage in coursework covering IRS practice and procedure, tax research techniques, federal income tax aspects of organizing and operating corporations, tax fraud and evasion, and individual retirement plans and distributions. In completing these courses, recent graduates will have a deeper understanding of tax laws and procedures and be able to resolve taxation issues quickly and effectively.
Bellarmine University is a private institution that boasts that it is one of the best liberal arts institutions in the South and it is no wonder, considering that U.S. News & World Report ranked it as the 17th best among regional universities in the South for 2019. Not only that, but the university's W. Fielding Rubel School of Business is among only five percent of business schools worldwide to have been awarded an AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business) accreditation. In addition, The Princeton Review ranked it as one of the three hundred best business schools to offer a master's degree in business administration.
To gain entrance into the master's program, students will need to have a bachelor's degree in accounting or similar field of study. In addition, students will need to take a GRE or GMAT exam, and have two letters of recommendation. The program itself contains thirty credit hours worth of work and students can complete it in a single year if they go full time. Students will cover taxation issues associated with partnerships, corporations, international businesses, trusts, estates, and compensation. The cost of attendance will vary depending on the amount of financial aid awarded, but prospective students tend to spend, on average, $10,950 a year.
University of Cincinnati
The University of Cincinnati's Master of Science in Taxation online degree program was ranked number one among schools in the Midwest and garnered a number two ranking in relation to all public institutions, and was ranked sixth in the nation. Due to this, competition to gain access into the program is very fierce and students will need to have a bachelor's degree with a 3.2 GPA or better to be considered for the program. Additionally, they will have to provide test scores related to a GMAT exam or GRE exam, provided that they meet additional requirements. Students will also need to provide a statement of purpose and two letters of recommendation.
Through the university's degree program, students should expect to complete their studies in two years at a cost of $29,700 for in-state and $30,150 for out-of-state. While the cost might seem high, the good news is that the university provides tuition assistance in many different forms, including through scholarships. Through thirty credit hours worth of coursework, students will take classes on individual tax structure and special topics, corporate tax life cycle strategies, formation and structure, and federal tax research for individuals and corporations. Those who enter the program will be taught by leading experts and have gained the tools and experience necessary to conduct tax related research.
Additional Top Online Master's in Taxation Programs
- Golden Gate University- Golden Gate University is widely considered to be among the top online tax programs in the country and provides students with the ability to cover a wide range of topics within taxation. Students have the option of accelerating their online degree program by attending campus courses and internships.
- Villanova University- Ranked in the top fifty among colleges in the U.S. by U.S. News & World Report and the top one hundred by Forbes, along with having an AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business) accreditation, Villanova University has the credentials to make it an ideal choice for prospective students.
- Florida Atlantic University- Thanks to the course structure provided, students who graduate from the master of taxation program will have also fulfilled their education requirements for a CPA (Certified Public Accountant).
- St. John's University- Like many institutions mentioned, St. John's has one of the best business schools in the country and they allow students to earn their degree in as little as one year.
- Nova Southeastern University- While the master's of taxation program offered goes into traditional core courses related to the subject, it differs from other programs in that it focuses more heavily on the IRS tax code.
Thanks to the growing demand for online graduate degree options, top universities now offer students the opportunity to pursue a master's in taxation at their own pace. While their admission requirements and program structures differ slightly, they all provide students with world-class education thanks to their well versed and experienced faculty.