Body Language Expert Careers

Body language experts are adept at reading and understanding a person's silent communication and signals given through their body. Learn about several careers that can utilize these skills to their advantage.

View popular schools

Career Options for Body Language Experts

Many jobs that involve interacting with people could benefit from understanding body language and the subtle way that people communicate, but there are some careers that may be a better fit for body language experts. Below is a table of a few of the better career options for body language experts.

Job Title Median Salary (2016)* Job Growth (2014-2024)*
Detectives and Criminal Investigators $78,120 -1% (Decline)
Speech-Language Pathologists $74,680 21%
Special Education Teachers $57,910 6%
Mental Health Counselors $42,840 20%
Interpreters and Translators $46,120 29%

Source: *U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Find schools that offer these popular programs

  • Agriculture
  • Architecture
  • Biological and Biomedical Sciences
  • Business
  • Communications and Journalism
  • Computer Sciences
  • Culinary Arts and Personal Services
  • Education
  • Engineering
  • Legal
  • Liberal Arts and Humanities
  • Mechanic and Repair Technologies
  • Medical and Health Professions
  • Physical Sciences
  • Psychology
  • Transportation and Distribution
  • Visual and Performing Arts

Career Information for Careers for Body Language Experts

Detectives and Criminal Investigators

Detectives and criminal investigator may use body language cues to gain insights into a suspect or witness that they are interviewing and/or observing. They may use this information and other evidence they collected to help understand what took place at a particular crime scene. These professionals are qualified to arrest people as needed, and generally oversee all aspects of a case from the arrest through the criminal trial. Detectives and criminal investigators have at least a high school diploma or bachelor's degree, must be U.S. citizens and 21 years of age, as well as meet the necessary personal and physical qualifications.

Speech-Language Pathologists

Even though speech-language pathologists work with patients to try and improve their speaking and communication skills, they may use the body language of a patient to help understand what that person is trying to communicate when they are unable to do so. Speech-language pathologists work with patients who have a wide array of conditions, such as autism, hearing loss, developmental delay and more, to help them improve their voices and/or swallowing capabilities. They evaluate each of their patients and create a unique treatment plan and also explain the condition and treatment to the patient and their families. Most of these professionals need a license and a master's degree.

Special Education Teachers

Similar to speech-language pathologists, special education teachers may use body language as clues to what their students are feeling or trying to communicate, as they work with students that have a variety of disabilities. Special education teachers may work with students that have physical, emotional and/or learning disabilities to help them learn material in different subjects in school in a way that they can understand. This involves creating an Individualized Education Program (IEP) for every student, adapting lesson plans, providing extra support for students and communicating with parents and other teachers about a student's progress. Special education teachers need at least a bachelor's degree and must hold a license if they work in a public school system.

Mental Health Counselors

Mental health counselors may utilize body language to pick up on subtle or silent cues to their patients' emotions as they help counsel their patients through various situations. These counselors may specialize in working with a particular population, such as the elderly, and provide counseling sessions to individuals, groups, couples or families to process the patients' reactions to hard circumstances. They also work with their patients to modify behavior for the future and help the patient discuss decisions about their future. Mental health counselors need a license and master's degree.

Interpreters and Translators

Although interpreters and translators are fluent in at least two languages and convert one back into the other, they may use body language to help improve the accuracy and tone of what they are translating. Translators typically work with converting one written language into another, but interpreters convert spoken language and can better understand the two parties they are communicating for with hints from body language. Body language may also help interpreters if they are unclear about the exact meaning of a particular word, as their goal is to speak as accurately and clearly as possible in both languages; this is especially true for sign language interpreters. Interpreters and translators usually need a bachelor's degree and on-the-job training, but must be fluent in at least two languages.

Next: View Schools

What is your highest level of education?

Some College
Complete your degree or find the graduate program that's right for you.
High School Diploma
Explore schools that offer bachelor and associate degrees.
Still in High School
Earn your diploma or GED. Plan your undergraduate education.

Schools you may like:

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

    • Master of Science in Nursing - Doctor of Nursing Practice Path, Executive Leader Specialization
    • Doctor of Nursing Practice
    • Master of Science in Nursing - Doctor of Nursing Practice Path
    • Master of Science in Legal Studies
    • MS in Psychology
    • MBA
    • Master of Public Health
    • MBA - Human Resources
    • MBA - Health Care Management
    • BS in Liberal Studies
    • BS in Business Administration
    • Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Investment Career Focus Area
    • BS in Liberal Studies Leadership
    • BS in Nutrition Science
    • BSFIN in Accelerated MS Finance
    • AAS in Business Administration - Business
    • AAS in Legal Support and Services
    • AAS in Business Administration
    • AAS in Business Admin-Office Management
    • AAS in Criminal Justice
    • AAS in Accounting
    • Medical Office Administration Certificate
    • Human Services Certificates in Child and Family Services
    • Pathway to Paralegal Postbaccalaureate Certificate
    • Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
    • Family Nurse Practitioner Graduate Certificate
    • Executive Leader Graduate Certificate

    What is your highest level of education completed?

    • Master of Arts in Strategic Communication
    • Master of Arts in Strategic Communication - Advocacy and Social Impact Concentration
    • Master of Arts in Economics
    • Master of Public Administration and Policy
    • Master of Science in Agile Project Management
    • Master of Science in Healthcare Management

    What is your highest level of education?

  • What is your highest level of education completed?

    • Master of Science in Accounting
    • Master of Public Administration in Non-Profit Management
    • Master of Business Administration
    • Master of Business Administration - Accounting
    • Master of Business Administration - Finance
    • Master of Business Administration - Marketing

    What is your highest level of education?

    • Online Master of Professional Studies in Cybersecurity Management
    • Online Master of Professional Studies in Information Technology Management

    What is your highest level of education completed?

  • What is your highest level of education?

  • What is your highest level of education?

    • Master of Science in Communication
    • Master of Science in Education in Special Education
    • Master of Science in Engineering Technology
    • Master of Science in Hospitality and Tourism Management
    • Master of Public Health
    • Master of Science in Education in Learning Design and Technology

    What is your highest level of education?

    • MSHS Medical Laboratory Sciences
    • MSHS in Immunohematology and Biotechnology
    • MSHS in Molecular Diagnostic Sciences
    • MSHS in Translational Microbiology
    • MA in Education and Human Development in Secondary Special Education and Transition Services
    • MA in Education and Human Development in Special Education for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Learners
    • BSHS in Clinical Operations and Healthcare Management
    • BSHS in Medical Laboratory Sciences
    • BSHS in Biomedical Informatics

    What is your highest level of education?

    • MA in Communication
    • Master of Liberal Arts
    • MA in Science Writing
    • MS in Applied Economics
    • MS in Geographic Information Systems
    • MS in Bioinformatics

    What is your highest level of education?

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?