Is there a national certification for massage therapy?


Is there a national certification for massage therapy?

Perfect School Search


Licensing and requirements for massage therapists vary by state, and there are no national regulations. However, most states have created a somewhat standardized process for workers to become licensed and ready for employment as a massage therapist. Many states require passing a licensing exam, as well as some minimum education and training requirements. The Massage and Body Work Licensing Examination, or MBLEx, is currently the only national, entry-level licensing examination for massage therapists. This exam is administered by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards. Students can generally sit for this exam once they have completed the education and training requirements for the state in which they plan to work. There is also the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB) which offers a Board Certification Examination (BCETM). The BCETM is an optional test that massage therapists can take in order to get further credentials. To receive certification from the NCBTMB, massage therapists must already be licensed in the state that they plan to work in.

To learn more about massage therapy certifications, check out this article: MBLEX vs NCBTMB

Next: View Schools

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.