Careers for People With Caring Personalities

Jan 17, 2020

There are several jobs for people who care about others and like to help, listen, and make a difference. Read about career options for caring people, education requirements, salary, and job growth information.

Career Options for People with Caring Personalities

Caring people enjoy helping others and considering other individuals' feelings. People with this personality type are normally selfless, help when others are in trouble, and like to make a difference. Take a look at some of the career options that caring people may consider.

Job Title Median Salary (2018)* Job Growth (2018-2028)*
Registered Nurse $71,730 12%
Elementary School Teacher $58,230 3%
Physician $200,890 or more (for all physicians and surgeons) 7% (for all physicians and surgeons)
Social Worker $49,470 11%
Fitness Trainer and Instructor $39,820 13%
Occupational Therapist $84,270 18%
Veterinary Technologist and Technician $34,420 19%

Source: *U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Career Information for People with Caring Personalities

Registered Nurse

Registered nurses care for patients and educate them on treatment needed to improve their health. This career path needs caring individuals that want to help others and have the ability to stay calm in complicated situations in order to put the patient first. In addition, they work with doctors to treat patients after performing tests and learning more about each patients' medical history. Registered nurses must be licensed and have an associate's or bachelor's degree in nursing or a nursing program diploma.

Elementary School Teacher

Elementary school teachers must have a caring personality as they work towards making a difference in the lives of their students. Teachers put their students first by working with their individual strengths and weaknesses to help them learn various concepts in a variety of subjects, including math, science, and English. Teachers assess student progress and manage their classroom behavior to help them become good citizens. They must be licensed to teach and have a bachelor's degree, though licensed teachers in certain states may be required to pursue a master's degree as well.


Physicians and surgeons help others with wellness, injuries, and illnesses. They care about their patients and want them to heal properly by communicating any concerns. They use a patient's medical history to determine the best plan for treatment. To be a physician, students must complete an undergraduate program, medical school, and a residency or internship program in their chosen field. Physicians must be licensed in the state in which they work.

Social Worker

Social workers are caring individuals who strive to help clients deal with their problems and find healthy ways to cope. In general, they help clients who are dealing with a tough situation or event, such as a serious illness or a failing relationship. Clinical social workers specifically work with those suffering from mental illnesses like depression and anxiety; these professionals give their clients tools and exercises that allow them to better manage their issues. A bachelor's degree in social work (BSW) or a relevant bachelor's degree is required to become a social worker; some also must have a master's degree and work experience. Licensure is required of all clinical social workers.

Fitness Trainer and Instructor

Fitness trainers or instructors want to help people take better care of their health and bodies with exercise and proper nutrition. They work closely with clients to ensure they are performing exercises correctly to prevent injury, and they also can provide emergency care. Trainers typically work with clients one-on-one or in groups of two or three, while instructors teach large groups of people in classes that focus on a specific style of exercise, such as aerobics, or technique, such as Pilates. Fitness trainers and instructors should have at least a high school diploma, though some employers may require an undergraduate degree or certification.

Occupational Therapist

Occupational therapists help people with severe disabilities or injuries work towards a better life through therapy and exercise. They provide specific accommodations to ensure patients' safety, while helping them reach individual goals. Occupational therapists ensure patients have specialized equipment, such as wheelchairs or modified eating tools, to improve their daily lives. To become an occupational therapist, students must complete a master's degree program and be licensed; some may choose to pursue a doctoral degree.

Veterinary Technologist and Technician

Veterinary technologists and technicians must be very caring individuals as they help animals with injuries, illnesses, and maintaining their health. They collect samples, run tests, and treat animals in a humane way. Veterinary technologists and technicians put their all into saving an ill or injured animal, which requires care and compassion. Technicians must complete a 2-year program, while technologists are required to complete a 4-year program; passing the Veterinary Technician National Examination is mandatory in most states.

Next: View Schools

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?