College Benefits for Dependents of Deceased Veterans

Aug 08, 2018

College benefits are available for dependents of fallen service members. These benefits help dependents afford a college education to pursue their educational goals thus making their career goals within reach. We will explore each college benefit in detail.

Dependents of deceased service members can embark on the career of their choice by obtaining a college degree(s) or training. Many dependents need financial assistance to attend college and obtain their desired degree. Here's a list of some college benefits that help towards college tuition and expenses through scholarship and grant awards.

College Benefits Comparison

Benefit Military Branch Award Amount Qualifications
Death Pension All Varies Un-remarried spouse or unmarried child
MG James Ursano Scholarship Army Varies Full-time student under 23 years old
Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society Navy-Marine Corps $500-$3,000 Full-time student under 23 years old
Children of Fallen Patriots All $6,250 Child of Fallen Service Member, Casualty Report
Folded Flag Foundation All Unspecified Tuition Letter Proving Financial Need, Casualty Report

College Benefits for Dependents of Deceased Veterans

Many benefits are available for dependents that have lost a parent due to their service in the military. Some of the benefits offer education assistance to help dependents obtain degrees. The college benefits listed here are awarded by organizations and foundations in the form of scholarships and grants. We will describe each college benefit in detail.

Death Pension

The Death Pension is also called the Survivors Pension. Spouses who did not remarry and unmarried children of a deceased Veteran with wartime service are eligible to receive this benefit.

The deceased Veteran must have served under certain conditions for his/her dependents to qualify. The Veteran should have served 90 days of active duty and one day of wartime service if the service is rendered on or before September 7, 1980. If the service is after September 7, 1980, the Veteran had to have served more than 24 months or the full period of their active duty and one day of wartime period. The family annual income must also be below the yearly amounts designated by the Congress in order for the dependent(s) to be eligible in receiving pension.

MG James Ursano Scholarship Program

The MG James Ursano Scholarship Program is sponsored by the Army Emergency Relief organization. This scholarship helps dependents of deceased Army soldiers obtain their first bachelor's degree.

This program provides assistance based on the dependent's financial needs. The award amounts vary each year with the most current year paying awards as low as $670 and as high as $4,290. The student must be unmarried during the school year the scholarship is awarded and cannot be a military service member. They must be or intend to be a full-time student at an accredited educational institution and have at least a 2.0 GPA.

Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society

The Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society offers grants and interest-free loans to the dependents of deceased Marines and Sailors. The award amounts range from $500 to $3,000 for each school year and must be used for tuition, books, fees, room, and board only.

The applicant must be a full-time student attending an accredited educational institution that participates in the United States Department of Education IV Financial Aid Program and is located in the United States. The applicant must also be registered in the Defense Eligibility Enrollment Reporting (DEER) System. The student's most current GPA must be 2.0 or higher. Lastly, the applicant must be able to prove they need financial assistance.

Children of Fallen Patriots Scholarship

The Children of Fallen Patriots Foundation aims to provide assistance in addition to those provided by the government and other agencies to children of uniformed soldiers who lost their lives while serving the country.

This scholarship award may be applied to tuition, books, fees, living expenses, computers, room, and board. The student must be in an undergraduate degree program at a public or private college, vocational school, or university. The management of the organization may also decide to grant additional funds for students with a GPA of 3.5 or higher.

Folded Flag Foundation

The Folded Flag Foundation scholarships are awarded to dependents of fallen service members who died while in combat. The service member's death must be due to hostile action or an accident that occurred during a combat mission.

The Folded Flag Foundation awards scholarships and grants to college-bound dependents. The benefits pay for tuition, books, fees, living expenses, and computers. In addition, scholarship funds may be used to pay for tutoring, test fees, and career preparation expenses. There are no age requirements for spouse applicants, but child dependents must be aged 26 years old and below to apply for this scholarship.

Next: View Schools

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?