Counseling Jobs for People Without a Degree

Jan 17, 2020

Are you interested in helping people through counseling, but you don't have a college degree? No need to worry - you can still apply your interpersonal skills through a career that puts your counseling abilities to use!

Career Options for Counseling Jobs for People Without a Degree

Job options are plentiful for the field of counseling even without a degree. Counselors utilize a number of aides and assistants, and other careers also involve counseling as part of the job, even if it might not seem obvious at first. Check out the list here to see if a new career might be an option for you!

Job Title Median Salary (2018)* Job Growth (2018-2028)*
Social and Human Service Assistant $33,750 13%
Substance Abuse and Behavioral Disorder Counselor $44,630 (Substance abuse, behavioral disorder, and mental health counselors) 22% (Substance abuse, behavioral disorder, and mental health counselors)
Teacher Assistant $26,970 4%
Psychiatric Technician $32,870 12%
Licensed Practical and Licensed Vocational Nurse $46,240 11%

*Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Career Information for Counseling Jobs for People Without a Degree

Social and Human Service Assistant

Assistants in the social and human services support their direct superiors, such as psychologists or social workers, in counseling activities. Along with assisting counseling, job duties can include regular contact with clients to make sure they are coping, and finding out what community services might be available to patients and clients. A high school diploma is the most common requirement for a social and human service assistant.

Substance Abuse and Behavioral Disorder Counselor

Counselors for substance abuse and behavioral disorders focus on the mental health and rehabilitation of their clients. Also known as addiction counselors, they may end up working with clients who are under a judge's orders to receive counseling. Education for the families of clients also falls under the responsibilities of this type of counselor. While some positions as a substance abuse and behavioral disorder counselor will require as much as a master's degree, it is possible to work for some employers with just a high school diploma and, in some cases, certification.

Teacher Assistant

Teaching assistants might end up working in special education or with disabled students, where they will spend plenty of time one-on-one attending to students. Student development, inside and outside of the classroom, can be discussed with supervising teachers, as well as the parents of students. Teacher assistants also help to keep class rules and regulations in place. All teaching assistants will need to take some college courses, but an actual degree is not necessarily required for work.

Psychiatric Technician

Also known as mental health technicians, psychiatric technicians help with rehabilitation and group therapy sessions in various mental health facilities. They might be employed by hospitals, social workers, and counselors. Technicians will need to be comfortable with potential aggressive situations, since they are in charge of restraining any patient who has a violent outburst. Those who wish to become a psychiatric technician should seek out a certificate program from a technical school or community college.

Licensed Practical and Licensed Vocational Nurse

As one of the first people who will be in direct contact with their patients, licensed practical and licensed vocational nurses must learn to exhibit the best bedside manner possible. Patients in pain and distress rely on the comfort of nurses, and something as simple as listening to a patient can be part of the job. Certificate or diploma programs are available and required for licensed vocational or practical nurses. As the name implies, licenses must also be obtained for work.

Next: View Schools

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?