Educational Financial Aid for Navy Military Spouses

Aug 01, 2018

Grants, loans, and scholarships are some of the educational financial aid options available to Navy military spouses. Learn more about how these financial aid choices can help you in pursuing your education or in furthering your career.

View Popular Schools

Educational financial aid is available for Navy military spouses who wish to attend college and obtain an undergraduate or graduate degree. These programs can make their educational goals reachable and affordable. Here, we will discuss some of the programs available exclusively for Navy military spouses.

Educational Financial Aid for Navy Military Spouses

There are various options which Navy military spouses can choose from in terms of educational financial aid. The programs listed here assist spouses of Navy or Marine active duty, retired or deceased service members. We will explore each program in detail and provide the requirements needed to qualify for each.

Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society (NMCRS) - Loans and Grants

Spouses of active or retired Sailors and Marines are eligible for grants and interest-free loans offered through the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society's Education Assistance Program. The amount of the loan or grant starts at a minimum of $500 and caps at a maximum of $3,000 for each academic school year. NMCRS pays the institution for tuition and expenses associated with room, books, fees, and board.

The applicant must comply with certain requirements to qualify for the loan or grant. First, they must register in the Defense Eligibility Enrollment Reporting System (DEERS). Then, their GPA must be 2.0 or more. They must also be able to prove they need financial assistance. Military spouses should note that they must reapply for each academic year they are seeking financial assistance. Lastly, they must be a full-time undergraduate student for the academic year from August through May.

Also, military spouses interested in applying for this loan must ensure that the education institute he/she is enrolling in must be an accredited post-secondary, vocational, or technical institute located in the United States. The institute must participate in the U.S. Department of Education Title IV Financial Aid Programs.

If the applicant is awarded a loan, they must start repayment at the start of the academic year through payroll deduction or an electronic funds transfer (EFT) and complete repayment within 24 months.

Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society - Spouse Tuition Assistance Program (STAP)

Spouses of active duty Sailors or Marines who reside together outside of the United States may qualify for an interest-free loan through the Spouse Tuition Aid Loan Program (STAP). The STAP is sponsored by the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society. The program awards loan amounts up to $3,000 to pay the applicant's education expenses including tuition, fees, and books.

To qualify for the STAP loan, the spouse must be married and living with an active Navy or Marine service member outside of the United States. The spouse must be an undergraduate or graduate student enrolled part-time or full-time in an accredited educational institute.

The spouse must apply at one of the overseas NMCRS offices such as those located in Guantanamo Bay, Guam, Naples, Okinawa, Roosevelt Roads, London, Rota, Yokosuka, or Sigonella. Once the loan is awarded, repayment starts immediately through military allotment. The loan is for one academic year and the applicant must reapply each academic year to receive a new loan.

Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society - Vice Admiral E.P. Travers Scholarship and Loan Program

Spouses of active or retired Sailors or Marines are eligible for an interest-free loan through the Vice Admiral E.P. Travers Loan Program sponsored by the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society. The Travers loan awards $500 to $3,000 for education costs including tuition, fees, books, room, and board.

In addition to being a Navy or Marine spouse, applicants must meet certain requirements to qualify for the Travers loan. They must be able to show they need financial assistance. The applicant must be enrolled full-time for the entire school year and maintain a GPA of 2.0 or more. In addition, the applicant must be pursuing their first undergraduate degree at an accredited educational institute.

Applications accompanied by required documents are accepted between November and May and awarded in early July. The required documentation includes the application form, most current transcript, certificate of service letter or DD214 and a student aid report (SAR).

Navy Wives Clubs of America - Mary Paolozzi Member's Scholarship

The Mary Paolozzi Member's Scholarship is awarded to one member of the Navy Wives Clubs of America to provide financial assistance to obtain a college education or vocational training. To qualify, the applicant must be a member for at least one year and in good standing. They must also be able to demonstrate the need for financial assistance. Lastly, they must be admitted into an accredited educational institute before May 30 of the year they applied.

A military spouse interested in this scholarship needs to fill out an application form and submit it to the national president's office. Aside from other pertinent details, information on financial sources, college entrance test scores, and transcripts are also required in the application.

Navy Wives Clubs of America - NMCCG Enlisted Dependent Spouse Scholarship

The NMCCG Enlisted Dependent Spouse Scholarship awards two scholarships to a Navy, Marine Corps or Coast Guard spouse or widow(er) to enable them to continue their college education or training. To qualify, the applicant must submit a copy of their military identification card and their latest federal tax return.

The NMCCG scholarship application also requires information regarding the applicant's finances, educational background, and transcripts. To be considered for the scholarship, all documents must be submitted to the National Vice President's office before the 30th of May during the year the applicant applied. Before the start of the financial assistance, military spouses should also have already graduated from an accredited high school or about to graduate or have a GED certificate to qualify for the scholarship.

Next: View Schools

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?