Emergency Teacher Certification in Arizona

Many states offer emergency teacher certification when a school or district is facing teacher shortages. Arizona is one of the states that has such a certification. Below is more information about the requirements for this credential.

In Arizona, a superintendent can request the issuance of Emergency Teaching Certificates when a district or charter school is experiencing a shortage of educators for positions that have been advertised statewide but not filled by a certified teacher. Applicants for this credential must meet education and background check requirements.

Arizona Emergency Teacher Certification Requirements

Average Salary for Teachers in Arizona (2017)* $44,070 (Kindergarten),
$44,220 (Elementary),
$43,670 (Middle School),
$48,050 (High School)
Required Degree Bachelor's
Degree Field Any
Testing Requirements None

Source: *U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Emergency Teaching Certificate Education Requirements

An Emergency Teaching Certificate can be used to teach the following educational levels: early childhood, elementary, and secondary. It cannot be used to teach any special education classes. The certificate is valid for one year and can only be used at the district requesting its issuance. This certification expires the July following the school year in which it was meant to be used.

There are two primary requirements that an individual must meet in order to obtain an Emergency Teaching Certificate. The first requirement is that an individual must hold a minimum of a bachelor's degree from an accredited university and be able to provide official transcripts showing the completion of a degree.

If an individual acquired a Teaching Intern Certificate but did not obtain a Provisional or Standard teaching certificate, he or she is not permitted to hold an emergency certification.

Find schools that offer these popular programs

  • Teacher Education, Multiple Levels
  • Teaching, Adults
  • Teaching, Elementary
  • Teaching, High School
  • Teaching, Junior High
  • Teaching, Kindergarten and Preschool
  • Teaching, Waldorf and Steiner Education
  • Teaching, Young Children

Emergency Teaching Certificate Application Requirements

An application to receive an Emergency Teaching Certificate must be completed by the district looking to fill an empty teaching position. Individuals cannot apply for this certification directly with the Department of Education; it is the district's responsibility. Once the district has approval from the Arizona Department of Education, the district will issue a written and signed request to the individual interested in the Emergency Teaching Certification. The maximum amount of times the Arizona Department of Education will issue an emergency certification to the same person is three times.

Emergency Teaching Certificate Fingerprint Requirements

The second requirement for an Emergency Teaching Certificate is the obtainment of an Arizona Department of Public Safety (AZDPS) Identity Verified Prints (IVP) fingerprint card. All educators in the state are required to have an IVP fingerprint clearance card in order to teach in a classroom. There are two methods by which individuals can obtain this card.

The first is for in-state applicants. These individuals can go through the Fieldprint website where they will schedule their visit and attend their fingerprinting appointment. Fieldprint submits fingerprints to the state electronically in order to ensure the quickest results.

The second method is meant for out-of-state individuals. This method involves requesting the Identity Verified Prints (IVP) teacher certification packet from the Arizona Department of Public Safety. An individual must fill out the packet as well as contact a local agency to take his or her fingerprints. Both methods involve a Department of Public Safety fee of $67. Additional fees may apply depending on where applicants go to have their fingerprints scanned.

Certification Resources for Arizona Teachers

Individuals interested in moving from emergency certification to a more permanent credential can use the following resource to prepare for the required AEPA certification exams.

What is your highest level of education?

Some College
Complete your degree or find the graduate program that's right for you.
High School Diploma
Explore schools that offer bachelor and associate degrees.
Still in High School
Earn your diploma or GED. Plan your undergraduate education.

Schools you may like:

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?