Emergency Teacher Certification in California

Emergency teacher certification is for those who want to fill in for a teacher but lack a teacher's license. The following article will look at the types of emergency certification available in California.

View popular schools

There are four different emergency teaching permits for substitute teachers in California. The following article takes a look at each of these certifications and the steps required to earn them.

Requirements for Emergency Teachers in California

Average Salary for Substitute Teachers in California (2017)* $40,920
Required Degree Bachelor's degree, or high school diploma for CTE permit
Required Field Various Majors
Testing Requirements California Basic Education Skills Test (CBEST)

Source: *Bureau of Labor Statistics

Emergency 30-Day Permit

This permit is the standard initial substitute teacher credential. It allows you to teach in a classroom for no more than 30 days per teacher during a school year. This permit can be renewed, and it is valid for a year at a time. To apply for this permit, you must have:

  1. Official transcripts from a regionally-accredited bachelor's degree program.
  2. Passed the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST). This test is made up of three subtests about math, reading, and writing. The cumulative score must be no lower than 123.
  3. Fingerprint clearance through the FBI and the California DOJ; this is known as the Live Scan receipt.
  4. Form 41-4 and application fee.

Emergency Substitute Teaching Permit for Prospective Teachers

This permit is for those who want to become a teacher but have not completed the necessary requirements, such as the bachelor's degree. It is also a good option for those changing careers. The permit can only be renewed once after one year, and the substitute is limited to 90 days total per year. In order to get this credential, you must have:

  1. Completed 90 credits from a regionally-accredited college.
  2. Proof of current enrollment in a bachelor's degree program.
  3. Completed the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST) with a score of 123 combined for the three subtests.
  4. Form 41-4, a Live Scan receipt, and processing fees.

Find schools that offer these popular programs

  • Teacher Education, Multiple Levels
  • Teaching, Adults
  • Teaching, Elementary
  • Teaching, High School
  • Teaching, Junior High
  • Teaching, Kindergarten and Preschool
  • Teaching, Waldorf and Steiner Education
  • Teaching, Young Children

Emergency Career Substitute Permit

For those who have already substituted in California school districts for three or more years, this is the permit for you. This permit is valid for one year and allows the substitute to fill 60 days per year for any one teacher, making it the most career-based certification. It is also renewable, allowing you to keep your credentials. In order to earn this permit, you must have:

  1. A regionally-accredited bachelor's degree and official transcripts.
  2. Passed the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST) with a cumulative score for the three subtests of 123.
  3. Substituted for a 3-year period.
  4. Statement of endorsement from the superintendent.
  5. Application Form 41-4 and fee.

Emergency CTE 30-Day Permit

Career technical education (CTE) classes are those that are commonly thought of as trade classes. The education requirements for this permit are basic, but it requires significant work experience. Teachers cannot substitute for more than 30 days for a single teacher during a school year. This permit is valid for one year and is renewable. To get this credential, you must have:

  1. A high school diploma or GED.
  2. 3,000 hours of employer-verified experience in a relevant industry sector.
  3. Filled out the application Form 41-4, completed the Live Scan, and have the application fee.

California Emergency Teacher Certification Resources

You may have noticed that most emergency teacher permits require passing the CBEST. To best prepare for this test, follow these links to a helpful study guide and course.

Next: View Schools

What is your highest level of education?

Some College
Complete your degree or find the graduate program that's right for you.
High School Diploma
Explore schools that offer bachelor and associate degrees.
Still in High School
Earn your diploma or GED. Plan your undergraduate education.

Schools you may like:

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?