Entry-Level Safety Jobs: Salary & Positions

Dec 07, 2017

When people graduate from high school or college, they may not have practical experience related to the type of career they wish to pursue. This article identifies safety-focused jobs that can be pursued without practical experience.

View Popular Schools

Career Options for Entry-Level Safety Jobs

Entry-level jobs do not require prior work experience. Some may be pursued with a high school diploma or GED, while others may require formal postsecondary education that prepares individuals to learn their duties through on-the-job training. Safety jobs are occupations that focus on keeping people, places and things from being damaged or harmed.

Job Title Median Salary (2016)* Job Outlook (2016-2026)*
Occupational Health and Safety Technicians $48,820 10%
Community Health Workers $37,330 18%
Police and Sheriff's Patrol Officers $59,680 7%
Hazardous Materials Removal Workers $40,640 17%
Environmental Science and Protection Technicians $44,190 12%
Agricultural and Food Scientists $62,920 7%
Psychiatric Technicians and Aides $28,670 6%

Source: *U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Career Information for Entry-Level Safety Jobs

Occupational Health and Safety Technicians

Occupational health and safety technicians can opt to pursue postsecondary studies to prepare for their career, but they can also enter the field with a high school diploma or GED. These safety professionals learn through on-the-job training and play a key role in ensuring that workplaces are safe for employees and the environment. They conduct inspections and work to identify potential safety hazards or environmental toxins. They may teach employers and employees how to use safety equipment and may provide additional training and information to ensure that workplaces comply with safety regulations.

Community Health Workers

Community health workers help identify healthcare issues affecting their community. They gather information about the health of the people in their community, relay data to healthcare providers and help people access healthcare services. Some states only require a high school diploma or GED to work in this career, while others require a postsecondary certificate. They do not need previous experience, making this an entry-level job.

Police and Sheriff's Patrol Officers

Police and sheriff's patrol officers can pursue their career with a high school diploma. After completing police academy training requirements, they receive on-the-job training and need no prior experience to qualify for a career in this field. A key part of their job is to ensure public safety, which they do by patrolling neighborhoods and enforcing laws. They may also investigate crimes.

Hazardous Materials Removal Workers

Hazardous materials removal workers are safety professionals who are only required to have a high school diploma or GED. They receive on-the-job training, including Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA) training, related to their duties. Their job is to find hazardous materials and make sure that these materials are safely removed and disposed of. Their objective is to ensure that communities and residents are not affected by dangerous substances, such as lead, that may cause illness or death; they play a key role in ensuring the safety of the regions they work in.

Environmental Science and Protection Technicians

Environmental science and protection technicians seek to protect the environment and its inhabitants from harm from pollution or contamination. They test the water and air and inspect businesses so that they can identify potential environmental hazards. They may also help remove harmful toxins that are present in the soil or water. It's most common for environmental science and protection technicians to need an associate's degree, although it is sometimes possible to enter this career field with a high school diploma or GED. These technicians do not need prior experience and can learn their duties once employed.

Agricultural and Food Scientists

Although agricultural and food scientists are required to have a bachelor's degree in agricultural science or a comparable subject area, they can pursue their career without prior work experience. One of their primary responsibilities is to discover ways to make agricultural products safer. The research work they do can help prevent illness or even death by ensuring that contaminated foods are not distributed to retailers and that new food products are safe for consumption.

Psychiatric Technicians and Aides

Psychiatric technicians and aides typically work in hospitals or medical facilities and provide care to patients who have mental health issues. Some patients may be violent, and part of technician and aides' duties involves intervening in order to protect patients from harming themselves or others. Psychiatric technicians must earn a postsecondary certificate, while aides can pursue this career with a high school diploma or GED. Since they are not required to have prior work experience, this is an entry-level safety occupation.

Next: View Schools

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?