Government Jobs that Require Travel

For people who don't mind travel, government jobs can open regions or the world to career minded men and women. This article highlights some of the jobs requiring travel in local, state and federal governments.

View popular schools

Career Options for Government Jobs Requiring Travel

Many government jobs require that their employees travel. This can provide an opportunity to discover new places, locally, nationally and abroad. Below is a list of government careers that involve travel, and some information about each.

Job Title Median Salary (2016)* Job Growth (2014-2024)*
Interpreter or Translator $46,120 29%
Legislator $23,470 -1%
Detective $78,120 4%
Emergency Management Director $70,500 6%
Occupational Health and Safety Specialist $70,920 4%
Postal Service Worker $56,790 -28%

Sources: *U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Find schools that offer these popular programs

  • American Government
  • International Relations, General

Career Information for Government Jobs Requiring Travel

Interpreter or Translator

Translators and interpreters may be employed by the government to work in consulates, embassies or courts. They need to be fluent in at least two languages, and they need to be able to read in both. Interpreters and translators are called upon to travel to other nations, or may be needed to travel with their clients. A bachelor's degree is required in this career, as well as some job-specific training.


Legislators are elected officials whose main task is to research and write legislation for local or federal governments. These men and women work with lobbyists and constituents on policies, and analyze local and national implications of new or changing laws. Legislators may travel to meet with their constituents, or to the state or nation's capital. Most elected legislators hold degrees of some kind, and often have experience in community service or other leadership positions.


The government hires law enforcement officials as do local police departments. Many federal detectives work for the Army's Criminal Investigation Command (CID) or the Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS). These men and women travel to crime sites to examine evidence and question people of interest. These sites are primarily in or around military bases and posts. These detective's investigations could be located stateside and overseas, wherever military personnel may be deployed. Federal agencies like the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) or Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) traditionally require their detectives to hold a bachelor's degree.

Emergency Management Director

Emergency management directors take charge during community disasters. These professionals help communities with emergency training. They work to help leaders with preparedness and coordinate services, evacuations, food, water, and shelter. These professionals may be called upon to travel to disaster sites locally or nationally. They typically hold bachelor's degrees in emergency management or public safety.

Occupational Health and Safety Specialist

Occupational Health and Safety Specialists spend hours on the road checking the safety of buildings, factories and other geographical locations. They coordinate safety instructions and ensure people have been properly educated on building safety. These professionals check all federal safety paperwork and inspect working conditions for possible violations. Most people in these positions have a bachelor's in occupational health or safety. Certification as a Certified Safety Professional (CSP) is also preferred.

Postal Service Worker

Workers for the United States Postal Service spend a huge amount of time on the road, both driving and walking. These professionals sort mail, run automated sorting systems, and assist customers. Postal workers need the minimum of a high school diploma and are required to pass the civil service exam to work for the USPS.

Next: View Schools

What is your highest level of education?

Some College
Complete your degree or find the graduate program that's right for you.
High School Diploma
Explore schools that offer bachelor and associate degrees.
Still in High School
Earn your diploma or GED. Plan your undergraduate education.

Schools you may like:

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?