Hawaii Teacher Certification Out-of-State

Jan 02, 2019

If you want to teach Hawaiian students but fulfilled your teacher education program out-of-state, there are several ways to earn certification. In this article, we'll look at some important tips you need to know and understand for the state.

In Hawaii, there is only one school district for the state. This may make it a bit easier to understand licensure, considering every teacher must meet the same requirements no matter the school.

Requirements for Out-of-State Teachers in Hawaii

Average Salary for Teachers in Hawaii (2017)* $39,180 (Preschool)
$59,790 (Elementary School
$59,480 (Middle School)
$59,250 (Secondary School)
Required Degree Bachelor's Degree
Required Field Subject area in which you will teach
Testing Requirements *Praxis PLT
*Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators
*Praxis Content Knowledge exam

Source: *U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Out-of-State Schooling

If you've completed your schooling outside of Hawaii, you'll just need to make sure your school is approved as a State Approved Teacher Education Program (SATEP). Many states have state approved programs that Hawaii considers valid. Check with your college or university to see whether or not your program is considered a SATEP.

Out-of-State Recruitment

Each year, Hawaii Department of Education (DOE) holds an out-of-state recruitment trip for teachers. You can sign up with the DOE website to be sure that you are aware of the following year's recruitment period. Typically, these recruitments are held in the spring and early summer to fill high-need areas. For instance, the 2018-2019 hiring priorities were for teachers of American Sign Language (ASL), special education, high school English, high school math, high school science, and for specific locations (such as the Hana complex, West Maui, or Waianae complex).

Praxis Exams

Hawaii asks that all teachers prove their professional and content knowledge through the use of the ETS Praxis assessments. To prove your basic knowledge, you must complete the Core Academic Skills for Educators three sub-tests. These look at math, reading, and writing knowledge basics. These sub-tests can be taken alone or together as one; however, they will be scored individually. Along with this exam, you'll need to complete the Principles of Learning and Teaching exam in your grade level. There are four of these exams: early childhood, K-6, 5-9, and 7-12. Finally, each subject has its own content exam that must be completed and passed for certification. Keep in mind, if you already have a teaching license from another state, your state certification exams may meet these requirements.

Certification Options

If your school is approved and you have passed all your tests, you can apply directly for a Provisional License. This license is valid for three years.

If you have not completed your tests or you need to take some additional classes, you can seek an emergency hire permit and renew it each year until you have fulfilled all of the teacher requirements. You have three years to complete the requirements.

If you are already a licensed teacher in another state, you can apply for Hawaii's Standard License. You will need proof of your valid teaching license from your state and that you have taught for three full-time years within the last five. This license lasts for five years.

Certification Resources for Out-of-State Teachers in Hawaii

With so many possible exams in your future, some courses detailing the exams could be helpful. This link will take you to study guides for any of the Praxis exams you may take.

Next: View Schools

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?