Hospitality Jobs That Require Travel

Jan 19, 2020

Hospitality Career Options that Require Travel

Although the amount, distance and method of travel vary greatly, there are several careers within the hospitality industry that are likely to require some form of travel. These careers also range in their job duties, but all aim to provide their guests and customers with quality customer service and a warm, friendly environment. Here we will discuss some of the hospitality careers that require travel.

Job Title Median Salary (2018)* Job Growth (2018-2028)*
Meeting, Convention and Event Planners $49,370 7%
Concierges $30,400 5%
Travel Guides $26,570 7%
Charter Bus Drivers $42,080 6% (Bus Drivers, Transit and Intercity)
Water Transportation Workers $54,400 -2%

Source: *U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Career Information for Hospitality Jobs that Require Travel

Meeting, Convention and Event Planners

Although they may only travel within a particular city or region, meeting, convention and event planners typically need to travel to various venues and locations to plan and coordinate their clients' events. They must first secure the proper venue for the event, as well as determine the date, time and other necessary services, such as food or entertainment. These planners carefully manage all of the details surrounding the event while working within the clients' budget and then oversee the event's activities during the day of the event. Meeting, convention and event planners need at least a bachelor's degree and experience planning events is helpful.


Similar to event planners, concierges likely only travel within a particular city or region, but may need to travel to help secure items or information for their guests. Concierges may travel to local establishments to get tickets for their guests or experience local attractions in order to provide their guests with information and recommendations concerning entertainment in the area. These professionals also assist their guests by making various reservations, communicating with housekeeping and maintenance to make any necessary actions and call for taxis and other modes of transportation for travel. Concierges typically undergo some on-the-job training, but only need a high school diploma.

Travel Guides

Travel guides may travel extensively as they lead long distance tours and travel trips for tourists. Travel guides carefully plan out the activities for each day of the trip and reserve lodging, transportation and other necessary accommodations for the trips. They take care of any problems that may come up with the trip and also provide their organization with feedback about various tour services to better inform guests and provide better quality experiences. Generally, they only need a high school diploma and go through some on-the-job training.

Charter Bus Drivers

Charter bus drivers also travel extensively welcoming their guests and transporting them to various locations and tourist attractions. They must stick to a strict schedule to make sure they make it to each stop at the correct time and they also make sure that no one gets left behind at any of the stops. If an official tour guide is unavailable, some charter bus drivers may fill in and point out different attractions and provide their guests with information about places of interest. Bus drivers usually need a high school diploma and have to pass a variety of physical requirements, hold a commercial driver's license (CDL) and have a clean driving record.

Water Transportation Workers

Several kinds of water transportation workers, such as captains of cruise ships and motorboat operators, travel far and wide while hosting guests on tours and vacations. Captains of these larger ships may welcome and interact with guests while also supervising the crew, steering the vessel to the desired location and enforcing safety rules. Motorboat operators may provide small charter trips or tours, which requires them to maintain their boat, help passengers on and off the boat and act as a tour guide as needed. Captains may need at least a bachelor's degree, but most water transportation workers need the Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) and a Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC).

Next: View Schools
Created with Sketch. Link to this page

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?