Copyright

How to Become a Math Teacher in Utah

The route to becoming a math teacher in Utah involves a number of education, training and testing steps. Once these steps have been completed, teacher candidates may apply for initial teaching licensure and math endorsement.

View popular schools

Math teachers help learners obtain an understanding of how number, quantity, and space underpin everything around us. In order to effectively develop the ability of learners in this vitally important core subject area, prospective math teachers must be proficient in applying the most optimal learning methodologies. Here you can learn how math teacher candidates in Utah can obtain licensure and endorsement in mathematics.

Teaching Certification Requirements in Utah

Average Salary for Teachers in Utah (2017)* $56,090 (Middle school) $55,540 (Secondary)
Required Degree Bachelor's degree
Degree Field Mathematics Education
Testing Requirements Praxis Mathematics: Content Knowledge test (code: 5161), Middle School: Mathematics (code: 5169) (middle school)

Source: *U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Step 1: Earn a Degree

Aspiring math teachers in Utah need to complete a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university. Teacher candidates should choose a degree program which incorporates an approved math teacher preparation program. Undergoing this training gives them extensive knowledge in the field of mathematics and allows them to acquire expert-level content. The candidates in these programs will also learn teaching methodology and obtain practical classroom experience.

Current teachers who possess a Utah teaching license, who wish to add math as an endorsement, should complete an appropriate approved 'add-on' math endorsement program.

Find schools that offer these popular programs

  • Agricultural Education for Teachers
  • Art Teacher Education
  • Biology Education for Teachers
  • Business Teacher Education
  • Chemistry Teacher Education
  • Drama and Dance Teacher Education
  • Driver Safety Teacher Education
  • English Teacher Education
  • Foreign Language Education for Teachers
  • French Language Teacher Education
  • Geography Teacher Education
  • German Language Teacher Education
  • Health Occupations Teacher Education
  • Health Teacher Education
  • History Teacher Education
  • Home Economics Teacher Education
  • Industrial Arts Teacher Education
  • Latin Teacher Education
  • Mathematics Teacher Education
  • Music Teacher Education
  • Physical Education and Coaching
  • Physics Teacher Education
  • Psychology Teacher Education
  • Sales and Marketing Teacher Education
  • Science Teacher Education
  • Social Science Teacher Education
  • Social Studies Teacher Education
  • Spanish Education for Teachers
  • Speech Teacher Education
  • Teaching, Computers
  • Teaching, Reading
  • Technical Teacher Education
  • Vocational Teacher Education

Step 2: Pass all Required Testing

In Utah, secondary math teacher candidates need to pass the Praxis Mathematics: Content Knowledge test (code: 5161, pass score - 160) which consists of 60 questions and lasts 150 minutes. The test is split into two content areas. The content category of Number and Quantity, Algebra, Functions, and Calculus accounts for 68% (41 questions) of the test. The content area of Geometry, Probability and Statistics, and Discrete Mathematics accounts for 32% (19 questions) accounts for the remainder of the test.

Middle school math teacher candidates should take the Praxis Middle School: Mathematics test (code: 5169, pass score - 165). This test lasts for two hours and consists of 55 selected-response and numeric-entry questions.

Both tests are administered by ETS and are computer-based.

To obtain a level 2 license (Professional Educator License) teachers must also pass the Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT) test. The PLT test a math teacher should take will depend on the grade level(s) they wish to teach. Here are the most appropriate PLT test options in this scenario:

  • Principles of Learning and Teaching: Grades 5-9 (code: 5623, pass score -160)
  • Principles of Learning and Teaching: Grades 7-12 (code: 5624, pass score - 160)

Candidates who take Praxis subject tests in Utah will have their test scores automatically sent to the Utah State Board of Education (USBE).

Step 3: Apply for an Initial Teaching License with Endorsement

When a candidate has finished the education requirement and passed their appropriate Praxis mathematics content test, they can apply for initial teacher licensure. The first requirement is to complete the Educator Ethics Review which can be carried out at Educator License Online and takes about 20-30 minutes to do. To complete this first application requirement, candidates will need their Comprehensive Administration of Credentials for Teachers in Utah Schools (CACTUS) identification number which should have been generated when candidates started the background check during their educator preparation program. The CACTUS identification number can be obtained by registering an account on the Utah Education Network.

When the background check and the Educator Ethics Review are finalized, a candidate may submit the licensure application electronically by filling out the APT application form and submitting it to USBE. College/University transcripts must be attached to the application.

Utah Math Teacher Certification Resources

Please follow the links below to check out our learning resources for helping teacher candidates study for their math teacher licensure exams in Utah:

Next: View Schools

What is your highest level of education?

Some College
Complete your degree or find the graduate program that's right for you.
High School Diploma
Explore schools that offer bachelor and associate degrees.
Still in High School
Earn your diploma or GED. Plan your undergraduate education.

Schools you may like:

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?