Jobs Involving Travel & Science

Jan 19, 2020

Career Options Involving Travel and Science

There are many science-oriented careers that involve various levels of travel. These careers span across many different sciences, and may require local, regional, national or even international travel. Here we discuss a small selection of the available careers that involve travel and science.

Job Title Median Salary (2018)* Job Growth (2018-2028)*
Anthropologists and Archeologists $62,410 10%
Epidemiologists $69,660 5%
Environmental Scientists and Specialists $71,130 8%
Hydrologists $79,370 7%
Zoologists and Wildlife Biologists $63,420 5%
Physicists and Astronomers $119,580 9%

Source: *U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Career Information for Jobs Involving Travel and Science

Anthropologists and Archeologists

Anthropologists and archeologists work more in the realm of social science as they study various cultures and human behavior to try to learn about the origin and history of humans and different populations. Their work often requires them to travel to various regions and locations to perform fieldwork and excavations, interviews or observations. They typically collect this information, analyze it and present their findings in research papers and presentations, which may be used to influence policies and programs that affect different cultures. These scientists must have a master's or doctoral degree in their respective field.


Epidemiologists are public health scientists who study the potential causes and patterns of human diseases and injuries. These professionals may travel to different locations to conduct studies and collect data, especially epidemiologists specializing in areas like infectious diseases. After analyzing their data, epidemiologists usually play a role in developing programs to educate the public and/or preventing the further spread of various conditions. Most epidemiologists need a master's degree.

Environmental Scientists and Specialists

Environmental scientists and specialists work to protect the environment and to correct any environmental hazards they come across, which often requires them to travel to various locations to conduct fieldwork and monitor conditions. They usually take soil, air, water and other biological samples to test in the lab for contaminants and report any findings in technical reports. These scientists may also travel to meet with clients and present their findings to various parties to influence future environmental projects or policies. They usually need at least a bachelor's degree in a natural science.


Hydrologists are somewhat similar to environmental scientists and specialists in that they conduct much of their work outdoors and may investigate different environmental issues, but they focus their research on bodies of water. They often need to travel to different locations along bodies of water to collect samples, observe erosion or flooding patterns and evaluate potential water-related construction projects. These scientists may take measurements like stream flow or volume and use computer models to try and predict different water conditions and work to solve problems in water distribution and quality. Many hydrologists have at least a master's degree, but some entry-level work is available for those with a bachelor's degree.

Zoologists and Wildlife Biologists

Zoologists and wildlife biologists study different groups or species of animals to try to learn more about their behavior, habitats, social interactions and physical characteristics. They often perform their studies in the animal's natural habitat, which may require local to international travel depending on the species. These scientists collect data from observations, samples and models to analyze and work to predict various factors concerning an animal population, as well as to help improve any conservation efforts of the species. Most of these scientists need a master's or doctoral degree for research positions, but some entry-level jobs may only require a bachelor's degree.

Physicists and Astronomers

Physicists and astronomers focus their research on the various ways that matter and energy interact. These scientists may not travel on a regular basis, but may need to travel to various observatories, laboratories or conferences to conduct or present their research. Physicists and astronomers use complex equipment, such as lasers and telescopes, to collect data, which they then analyze with computer software, models and complex math to test various hypotheses in the field. Many of these scientists need a Ph.D. in the field, but jobs are available for those with a bachelor's or master's degree.

Next: View Schools
Created with Sketch. Link to this page

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?