Jobs Working with Mothers & Babies

Jan 18, 2020

For people interested in working with mothers and their babies, there are several different job opportunities. Learn about a handful of the available related jobs and their education requirements.

Career Options that Work with Mothers and Babies

There are a few different fields that offer careers working with mothers and their babies. These careers may help educate young mothers, help them care for their babies or even provide medical care for the mother and/or baby. Below is a table of a few of the careers that work with mothers and babies.

Job Title Median Salary (2018)* Job Growth (2018-2028)*
Social Workers $49,470 11%
Obstetricians and Gynecologists $238,320 2%
Nurse Midwives $103,770 16%
Pediatricians $183,240 2%
Childcare Workers $23,240 2%

Source: *U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Career Information for Jobs Working with Mothers and Babies

Social Workers

Social workers help their clients cope with, solve and adjust to tough life situations and problems, including divorce, unemployment, abuse and more. Some social workers choose to specialize in working with kids and families, which could include mothers and their babies. These social workers ensure that mothers and families have the resources they need to properly care for their children, such as food stamps, proper housing and more. Unfortunately, they may also respond to emergencies and help mothers and babies in abusive situations. Social workers protect children and work for their best interests, but this often closely ties into helping the mother get the care and help she needs. Most social workers that specialize in children and families have a bachelor's degree.

Obstetricians and Gynecologists

Obstetricians and gynecologists (OB/GYNs) are physicians who specialize in treating the female reproductive system, including caring for women through pregnancy and childbirth. As a physician they perform routine tasks, such as taking medical histories, performing examinations, prescribing medication as needed and more. However, during pregnancy they will counsel mothers on how best to care for their unborn baby, and then deliver the baby when the time comes. OB/GYNs must complete 4 years of undergraduate work, followed by 4 years of medical school and then a residency program.

Nurse Midwives

A nurse midwife is considered an advanced practice registered nurse (APRN) who specializes in caring for women. They may provide family planning services, gynecological exams and prenatal care for women in their care. They work with mothers and babies during delivery, and may serve as the mother and infant's primary caregiver. They are also trained to assist physicians during cesarean births and how to respond during emergency birthing situations, like hemorrhaging. APRNs need at least a master's degree and license. They must also pass a national certification exam.


Pediatricians, like OB/GYNs, are physicians that specialize in working with infants, children, teens and young adults and treating conditions that are more common in young people. They examine their patients, diagnose and treat illnesses, check for proper development and administer vaccinations at the correct age. While examining children, and especially with babies, pediatricians need to be communicating with parents about their child's condition and overall health. Pediatricians may make recommendations and advise parents about proper care for their child's specific age. Pediatricians, similar to OB/GYNs, need 4 years of undergraduate studies, 4 years of medical school and then a residency program in pediatrics.

Childcare Workers

Childcare workers take care of children of different ages, including babies, while their parents and/or families are working or unavailable to care for them. These workers feed, change and bathe the children in their care as needed. They must communicate and interact well with parents, including mothers, to inform them of any incidents that occurred, developmental or emotional concerns they have noticed and more. Childcare workers also help develop a schedule for children and help them learn basic skills for their age. Depending on their state and/or employer, these professionals may not need formal education. Others may need professional certification.

Next: View Schools

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?