Kansas Teacher Certification Renewal Requirements

Jan 02, 2019

The renewal process in Kansas has varying requirements, depending on your current licensing status and the type of license you are trying to renew. For the following article, we'll look at how you can renew your teaching license no matter if it has expired or not.

Requirements for Kansas Teachers

Average Salary for Teachers in Kansas* $49,140 (Elementary School), $50,230 (Middle School), $49,800 (High School)
Required Degree Bachelor's degree
Required Field Education or elementary education
Testing Requirements Praxis Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT) exam (depending on grade level: 5621, 5622, 5623, 5624)

Source: *Bureau of Labor Statistics (2016)

Initial License Renewal

This is the first level you will want to consider. If you currently hold an initial teaching license but are not yet ready for a professional license, you'll want to renew your 2-year license. This is a pretty easy process, just submit the application Form 20 and pay the fee.

If it has been over five years, and you let your initial teaching license lapse, you will need to include verification in one of the following four areas:

  1. Passing Praxis scores within the last year
  2. Eight or more credit hours taken since last initial license (must be in licensed content area)
  3. One year of experience in endorsement
  4. Professional development points

You will also need to include a new fingerprint card and background check.

Professional License

If you are ready to move onto your professional teaching license, you'll need to complete some additional requirements. First, you'll need to complete a year-long mentoring program. You'll also need to have at least one year of experience teaching in your endorsed content area. In a way, this isn't so much a renewal as a new step for you as a teacher. The following section will explain the most common renewal type.

Professional License Renewal

Here is where most teachers find themselves. There are two primary paths that can be taken, depending on your education level. Each of these paths has different branches that can also be taken. The first path is if you have a bachelor's degree. You can either take eight accredited credit hours at a college or university and submit the transcripts and Form 3a for renewal, or you can earn 160 professional development points (80 points must be college credit), send in the official transcripts, and fill out Form 3a. Professional development points are decided on between the teacher and the school district. One point is awarded for one hour of development activity, while the 80 college credit points can be fulfilled with a 4-credit course.

If you have a master's degree, there are three different branches to gain renewal. The first way is through 120 professional development points and official transcripts. The second way is with eight accredited college credits and an official transcript. The third option is to complete three years of experience during the current license. A verification form must be filled out for the third option. Finally, Form 3a must be filled out and the fee must be submitted no matter the path.

Certification Sources for Teacher Renewal in Kansas

When renewing your license, you'll likely not need to take any exams. However, if you choose to add an additional endorsement to your current license or allowed your license to lapse, you'll want to be prepared to take the content area test or Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT) Praxis exam. The following source can help you to prep and study for those exams.

Next: View Schools
Created with Sketch. Link to this page

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?