Marriage & Family Therapy Graduate Programs in Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania is home to several schools with graduate programs in marriage and family therapy that require final projects and clinical experiences. Learn about other program details and admissions requirements for the different degree programs.

Several schools in Pennsylvania, especially in the Philadelphia area, offer master's and/or doctoral degree programs in marriage and family therapy that prepare students for license requirements in the state. These programs range from 2 to 4 years in length and require hands-on learning experiences. Find out more about the different available programs below.

Find schools that offer these popular programs

  • Clinical Pastoral Counseling
  • Community Health Services
  • Genetic Counseling
  • Marriage and Family Counseling
  • Medical Social Work
  • Mental Health Counseling
  • Mental Health Services Technician
  • Psychotherapy and Psychoanalysis
  • Substance Abuse Counseling

Schools in Pennsylvania with Marriage and Family Therapy Graduate Programs

La Salle University

La Salle University in Philadelphia offers a Master of Arts (MA) in Marriage and Family Therapy that can be completed in 3 years full-time. The program requires a total of 60 credit hours that prepares graduates for licensure in the state of Pennsylvania. The final year of the program consists of a clinical internship for hands-on learning and practice that totals at least 700 hours. Students also participate in a professional seminar and must pass comprehensive written and oral exams.

Thomas Jefferson University

Thomas Jefferson University, also in Philadelphia, has a Master's of Family Therapy program that can be completed in 2 years. The program allows students to further specialize by offering two tracks- family therapy and sex therapy. Students must complete a master's project and multiple practicum experiences throughout the entire program for hands-on experience. Students in the family therapy track must complete 500 clinical hours with 100 hours in their specialization, while students in the sex therapy track must complete 200 clinical hours with 100 hours in their specialization.

Kutztown University

Kutztown University in Kutztown provides an MA in Marriage, Couple and Family Therapy that totals 60 credit hours. Students in the program gain 700 hours of field experience and are prepared for state licensure upon graduation. The program consists of core courses and seminars, as well as research courses and specialty core courses in areas such as addiction, ethics and psychology of families. The program also places a unique emphasis on developing assessments, which can be used in a wide range of clinical settings in the field.

Eastern University

Eastern University in St. Davids offers a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Marriage and Family Therapy or a Doctor of Arts (DA) in Marriage and Family Therapy Studies, each of which are offered in a hybrid format. The PhD program totals 60 credits, can be completed in 4 years and includes online coursework with required on-campus residencies. The program follows a cohort model and requires a dissertation and field experience in counseling. The DA program also has online coursework and on-campus residencies, but is 48 credits, can be completed in 3 years and includes a doctoral project instead of a dissertation.

Drexel University

Philadelphia's Drexel University has a Master of Family Therapy program that totals 90 credits. Students in the program receive hands-on training through a 9- and 12-month clinical experience and gain experience through the school's campus training clinic that serves the local community. The university also has a unique Center for Interdisciplinary Clinical Simulation and Practice that allows students to practice clinical experiences with actors. The program requires a capstone project that pertains to issues on social justice.

Common Entrance Requirements

Students applying to marriage and family therapy graduate programs will usually need to meet a minimum GPA of a 3.0 or higher, depending on the program and level. Students applying to master's programs must hold a bachelor's degree, while those applying to doctoral programs generally need to hold a master's degree, which may need to be from a particular field, such as counseling. Doctoral students are also likely have to undergo an interview process, while master's students usually need to include their GRE scores and any work or volunteer experience in the field. Some master's programs may also have prerequisites in areas like psychology and statistics. Common application materials for programs at both the master's and doctoral levels include official transcripts, letters of recommendation, a personal statement and a resume or CV.

There are a variety of master's and doctoral degree programs in marriage and family therapy available at different schools in Pennsylvania. These programs require clinical experiences and usually have some kind of final project.

What is your highest level of education?

Some College
Complete your degree or find the graduate program that's right for you.
High School Diploma
Explore schools that offer bachelor and associate degrees.
Still in High School
Earn your diploma or GED. Plan your undergraduate education.

Schools you may like:

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?