Master Teacher Requirements in Oklahoma

Jan 02, 2019

In Oklahoma, a master teacher is an early education care giver and teacher that has earned the Child Development Associate (CDA) credential. Let's find out more about this career and the steps needed to become a master teacher in Oklahoma.

Requirements for Master Teachers in Oklahoma

Average Salary for Preschool Teachers Oklahoma (2017)* $29,900
Required Degree High School Diploma
Required Field N/A
Testing Requirements Pearson VUE CDA (optional), NECE (Optional)

Source: *U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Understanding a Master Teacher

There is some back-and-forth about what works best for the education of a master teacher. A master teacher is a certified childcare educator. A master teacher works in early childhood centers, providing instructions, guidance, care, and supervision. In many other states, this may be considered a preschool teacher. You will be tasked with providing emotional, social, and physical development activities, while preparing students for their education journey ahead. In Oklahoma, there are many different certificates that can lead to being a master teacher, and we'll look at them now.

Child Development Associate

One of the popular methods is to obtain a Child Development Associate (CDA) credential. This is a nationally recognized credential. In order to earn a CDA, you must have your high school diploma (or GED) and be 18 years or older. On top of this, you must have 9 college credits in child development and/or early education. You could obtain 120 clock hours that meet the eight CDA content areas. On top of the education, you must have 480 hours of experience working with children in a childcare setting. These can be with any children from infant to five years old. It will take six months to complete the process of applying. Along with a $25 Standards book, you'll need to pay the $425 fee to the Council for Professional Recognition with your application and portfolio. You will also take the CDA exam offered through Pearson VUE.

Certified Child Care Professional Credential

The other nationally recognized credential for master teachers is the Certified Child Care Professional Credential (CCP). Currently, Oklahoma is one of eight states that approve of this credential. In order to obtain this through the National Early Childhood Program Accreditation (NECPA), you must meet the 12 requirements for credentialing.

  1. Be 18 years old
  2. Have your high school diploma
  3. 720 hours working in a childcare setting
  4. 180 clock hours of education in the nine CPP Standard areas
  5. Pass the National Early Childhood Education exam
  6. Have a portfolio
  7. Assessment of your performance
  8. Two parent evaluations
  9. Two recommendation letters
  10. Two writing samples
  11. Professional development plans
  12. Review by the NECPA council

The Certificate of Mastery

A Certificate of Mastery can be obtained by attending one of Oklahoma's community colleges or other educational institutions. These programs include courses that will prepare you to work with developing children. You'll learn about child growth, social skills, language development, and services for special needs children. Along with this, you'll learn how to work with parents and the community to better the learning environments for students. You'll learn all about child care, safety, and nutrition. Finally, you'll learn about being a master teacher through assessment and evaluation, program planning, and professionalism. These certificate programs will be 18 credit hours, with three in English composition and the other 15 dedicated to education and child growth. This can be used to prepare you for your CDA credential, but this certificate is only recognized in Oklahoma state.

Certification Resources for Master Teachers in Oklahoma

While there are no specific exams that are required to be taken, there are some questions that you may still need answered. Hopefully, the following link will be able to guide you with any remaining questions.

Next: View Schools
Created with Sketch. Link to this page

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?