Military-Friendly Physical Therapy Colleges

Jan 02, 2019

Military students and veterans may decide to enroll in a physical therapy college in order to learn how to help people recover from illness and injury. Discover military-friendly physical therapy schools here.

View Popular Schools

Physical therapy programs prepare graduates to help patients rehabilitate from issues affecting their motor skills and function. Veterans and military members can review top programs at military-friendly institutions to make the most of their prior experience and education.

School Comparison

School Name Institution Type Location Graduate In-State Tuition (2017-2018)* Tuition Assistance/Military Benefits
University of Miami Private not-for-profit Coral Gables, FL $35,280 Yellow Ribbon
University of Pittsburgh Public Pittsburgh, PA $22,290 Campus military/veteran scholarships, in-state tuition
Emory University Private not-for-profit Atlanta, GA $40,800 Yellow Ribbon
Northwestern University Private not-for-profit Evanston, IL $52,239 Yellow Ribbon
Virginia Commonwealth University Public Richmond, VA $11,466 Yellow Ribbon

Source: *National Center for Education Statistics

Physical Therapy Schools for Veterans

Veterans and military students who decide to become practicing physical therapists will need to complete a Doctor of Physical Therapy and earn state licensure. The following schools are highly respected in the field of physical therapy and offer a number of benefits to veterans and military students.

University of Miami

The University of Miami is welcoming for veterans and military students. They have an active ROTC program for both the Army and the Air Force. In addition, they have a student veteran organization, they give college credit for qualified military training, and they have dedicated staff to help veterans with paperwork and other issues. The school is a Yellow Ribbon participant and awards tuition assistance to qualified graduate students in the fall and spring. A limited number of grants are available for law and medicine students.

The Miller School of Medicine has a Department of Physical Therapy that offers two doctorates in the field. The Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) prepares graduates to work with patients in a clinical setting. The PhD in Physical Therapy is for those who want to pursue research or teaching.

University of Pittsburgh

The University of Pittsburgh has an active student veterans organization, PittVets. In addition, the the school provides staff specifically for veterans to help them with their benefits, academic schedules, and other issues. They also allow veterans to apply military training for college credit when applicable. There are a number of campus-based scholarships available to qualified veterans. In-state tuition may also applied for eligible veterans regardless of origin.

The University of Pittsburgh - Medical Center Shadyside School of Medicine offers the first Spinal Therapy Certificate in the United States, which compliments their other physical therapy programs. They offer four degrees in this field: an MS in Physical Therapy, a PhD in Rehabilitation Science, a DPT, and a dual degree DPT-PhD which focuses on both physical therapy and bioengineering.

Emory University

Veterans and military students at Emory University will find a dedicated veterans benefit coordinator. The school also has an active student veterans organization. They offer free psychological and neurological counseling to veterans and military students as well. College credit may be available for relevant military training. In 2014-2015, Emory invested more than one million dollars into veteran education through the Yellow Ribbon program.

The Rollins School of Public Health at Emory University offers a DPT. The program is highly respected and is frequently cited as one of the best in the nation. The college also offers a dual DPT/PhD and several other dual degree options, such as a dual DPT/Master of Public Health.

Northwestern University

Northwestern University offers ROTC as well as a veterans resource dean. Military students and veterans may also participate in the student veterans organization. Military training may be applicable for college credit if it meets guideline requirements. Northwestern contributed sums of $12,000 to five graduate students from the department of physical therapy in the 2017-2018 school year via Yellow Ribbon participation.

Northwestern offers a DPT and a few dual DPT programs. The school participates in global health initiatives for research. Students may also have opportunities to study overseas in health and physical therapy departments in places like Belize and Chile.

Virginia Commonwealth University

Veterans and military students may find many benefits at Virginia Commonwealth University. Students can participate in ROTC through the university's partnership with the University of Richmond's ROTC Spider Battalion. Students can also join the Military Medical Student Association. In addition, the school offers work study for veterans and college credits for military training. The school provides up to $3,000 to five qualified graduate students per semester through Yellow Ribbon participation.

The Virginia Commonwealth School of Allied Health Professions has two degrees for physical therapy students. They have a DPT and also offer a PhD for those who are interested in pursuing research or teaching as faculty. The university also houses a neurological PT residency.

Next: View Schools

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?