Missouri Teacher Certification Renewal

Missouri's initial teaching certificate is only good for four years, so you will need to keep your credentials updated by updating to a new certificate. This article will look at the six primary requirements to meet the upgrade and renewal requirements.

In Missouri, those who get their first teacher certification receive the Initial Professional Certificate (IPC) or the Initial Career Education Certificate (ICEC). To find out how you can upgrade to a 99-year Career Continuous Professional Certificate (CCPC), check out the steps below.

Requirements for Missouri Teachers

Average Salary for Teachers in Missouri (2017)* $27,360 (Preschool)
$52,700 (Kindergarten)
$52,700 (Elementary School
$52,620 (Middle School)
$51,720 (Secondary School)
Required Degree Bachelor's Degree
Required Field Teaching Area
Testing Requirements None

Source: *U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Requirement 1: Gain Experience

Initial certificates are only valid for four years. You can seek an extension for this, but the better option is to renew and upgrade. This is because an upgrade to the professional certificate will be good for life - with some maintenance. The first step is to complete four years of teaching in a Department of Elementary and Secondary Education-approved classroom. These classrooms can be public schools or private schools, so long as they are approved. This can be half-time work, but substitute teaching does not count.

Requirement 2: Take Part in Mentoring Program

Once hired, your school district will assign a teacher to act as a mentor. You will keep this mentor teacher for two years as you practice the skills and principles that you learned while in college. These programs should help to address issues that may arise within your first few years of teaching. You'll have help working on curriculum and lesson building that may only be learned properly through experience. You'll also have time to learn about the community, school district and policies.

Find schools that offer these popular programs

  • Teacher Education, Multiple Levels
  • Teaching, Adults
  • Teaching, Elementary
  • Teaching, High School
  • Teaching, Junior High
  • Teaching, Kindergarten and Preschool
  • Teaching, Waldorf and Steiner Education
  • Teaching, Young Children

Requirement 3: Complete Professional Development

This step is quite common with certification renewal with all states. You'll be asked to continue your education and professional development through college courses, workshops, conferences, and activities that allow you to grow in your profession. In Missouri, you'll be asked to complete 30 contact hours within the four years if you want to upgrade from the IPC, and 90 hours are required if you want to upgrade from the ICEC. These can be filled a number of ways, but one option is college credit. Every semester hour equals 15 professional hours.

Requirement 4: Join a Beginning Teacher Assistance Program (BTAP)

Many colleges and professional organizations offer teacher assistance programs. The BTAP is typically completed within the first two years of teaching. This program must include education about education law, communication, classroom environments, and student engagement. It is similar to the mentorship since you will have ongoing support throughout the BTAP.

Requirements 5 & 6: Evaluate and Implement

Completing the other requirements for renewal and upgrade is very important. You must take part in an annual performance-based teacher evaluation. It must be a successful evaluation with only minor suggestions for changes. You must also include a professional development plan for the district. This is mostly looking at a specific schedule or plan to keep up with those professional development credits.

Certification Resources for Teachers in Missouri

Exams are not necessary for renewal. However, taking the NBPTS's National Board Certification Exam could count as professional development hours. If you'd like to put that in your professional development plan and study for it, check out the links below.

What is your highest level of education?

Some College
Complete your degree or find the graduate program that's right for you.
High School Diploma
Explore schools that offer bachelor and associate degrees.
Still in High School
Earn your diploma or GED. Plan your undergraduate education.

Schools you may like:

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?