Nursing Programs that Accept Transfer Students

If you are interested in transferring to a nursing program, it is important to understand general eligibility and application requirements. Look below for information on some of these programs and what it takes to transfer.

View popular schools

Transferring into a nursing program involves some planning and preparation. Several nursing programs across the country accept transfer students, and it is important to find out what these programs require before applying. Keep reading to discover more about some nursing programs that accept transfer students, including eligibility and application requirements.

Nursing Programs that Accept Transfer Students

School Location Undergraduate Tuition (2017-2018)* Some Transfer Requirements
University of California-Los Angeles Los Angeles, California $13,261 In-State / $41,275 Out-of-State Supplemental Application, 3.5 GPA
Belmont University Nashville, TN $32,820 Transcripts, SAT/ACT scores
University of Virginia Charlottesville, VA $16,853 In-State / $47,273 Out-of-State Transcripts, Standardized Test Scores
Georgetown University Washington, D.C. $52,300 Transcripts, Secondary School Report

*Source: NCES

Find schools that offer these popular programs

  • Clinical Nursing
  • Critical Care Nursing
  • Direct-Entry Midwifery - LM, CPM
  • Licensed Vocational Nurse Training
  • Mental Health Nursing
  • Neonatal Nursing
  • Nurse Anesthetist
  • Nurse Assistant or Patient Care Assistant
  • Nurse Midwife
  • Nurse Practitioner or Family Nurse Practitioner
  • Nursing Administration
  • Nursing for Adults and Seniors
  • Nursing Science
  • Occupational Health Nursing
  • Operating Room and Surgical Nursing
  • Pediatric Nursing
  • Public Health Nurse or Community Nurse
  • Registered Nurse

Transfer Requirements

As with most college transfer applications, many nursing programs require transfer students to complete the general or common application, and sometimes schools like Georgetown or the University of California-Los Angeles (UCLA) ask that transfer students also submit a supplement to the application. Most schools require an application fee or a fee waiver form in order for the application to be accepted; the application fee can be around $75, which is the fee at Georgetown. Other common transfer requirements include official college transcripts and scores from the ACT/SAT. Some schools, like the University of Virginia (UVA), also require that nursing transfer students have completed certain courses, like chemistry and microbiology, with a grade of C or higher. At Georgetown, a school report based on transfer students' secondary school performance, including the high school transcript, is also required.

Transfer Eligibility

To be eligible to transfer, students usually need to have completed at least one year of college coursework. This means that in programs like the one at UVA, nursing transfer students are only accepted into the second year of the nursing program. At UCLA, students must have completed 60 to 70 semester units of coursework that can be transferred to the university. Current Georgetown students must have completed an entire academic year before they can transfer into the School of Nursing and Health Studies there.

Special Transfer Options

At some schools, such as Belmont University, the nursing program may offer options for transfer students who have completed different levels of coursework. For example, one option at Belmont allows students who have already finished more than three semesters of college to transfer right into the nursing program; another option allows transfer students who have only finished between 12 and 50 college credits to do pre-clinical coursework before starting clinical work in the nursing program. At both UVA and Georgetown, students already attending these respective universities can apply to transfer to the nursing program from within the university, although this might require a separate application.

Next: View Schools

What is your highest level of education?

Some College
Complete your degree or find the graduate program that's right for you.
High School Diploma
Explore schools that offer bachelor and associate degrees.
Still in High School
Earn your diploma or GED. Plan your undergraduate education.

Schools you may like:

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?