Overseas Jobs for People Without a Degree

Some people are drawn to travel and work in foreign lands. However, not everyone has a college degree to take overseas work. In truth, many international jobs do not require degrees. Learn about some of these positions in this article.

Career Options for People Interested in Overseas Jobs Without a Degree

Many people have an interest in working overseas and seeing the world. They may not have a degree, but they do have the technical education and/or professional experience that can open doors to many international career fields. Below is a list of some of those careers with important information.

Job Title Median Salary (2017)* Job Growth (2014-2024)*
Construction Equipment Operator $45,040 10%
Information Technology Specialist $52,160 12% (for all computer support specialists)
Medical Laboratory Technician $50,930 18% (for all medical and clinical laboratory technicians)
Armed Security Officer $25,840 5% (for all security guards)
Interpreter or Translator $46,120 29%

Sources: *U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Career Information for People Interested in Overseas Jobs

Construction Equipment Operator

There are many places around the globe where Americans can work in construction if they have experience running heavy equipment. Their duties include maintaining the construction equipment, fixing basic problems, and working closely with construction engineers. Most international sites will hire construction equipment operators who are licensed and have previous experience.

Information Technology Specialist

Information technology specialists worldwide take charge of computer information systems for international companies. Often these professionals are employed at U.S. federal sites such as consulates or military dependent schools. Their job duties include everything from networking systems, data storage and software installations and applications. Although many people have bachelor's degrees in this field, many in computer support systems only need to earn a certificate or an associate's degree.

Medical Laboratory Technician

One of the largest professional fields on the planet is medicine. Hospitals and clinics everywhere need trained medical laboratory technicians. These jobs may require personnel to draw blood, collect tissue, and test fluids. They will run lab equipment and keep them clean and properly calibrated. Most medical technicians hold certificates from an accredited technical institute or an associate's degree from a community college.

Armed Security Officer

People with backgrounds in law enforcement, private security or the military can find work overseas working for private companies in business security or private protection. There are even positions in cyber security with well known organizations like INTERPOL, EUROPOL, and the European Union. These professions require some type of licensing in security or police training or a military background.

Interpreter or Translator

Interpreters and translators are needed in a lot of different international arenas: embassies, consulates, travel agencies, banks and courts. Translators are expected to be proficient in at least two languages and be fluent in written and oral forms. They are expected to be fast and accurate and be able to read style and tone into what they read or hear from the original language. Most places want interpreters to have a bachelor's degree; however, many international sites will take personnel who have completed a formal translator program.

Next: View Schools

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?