Psychology Careers Working with Children

Jan 18, 2020

If you are interested in a career in psychology that involves working with children, there are a range of paths from which to choose. Read on to discover job descriptions, salary information and educational requirements for each.

Psychology Career Options Working with Children

Careers in the psychology field can be very rewarding. Combine with helping children, and a fulfilling career path can be formed. Below, find great psychology options working with children.

Job Title Median Salary (2018)* Job Growth (2018-2028)*
Child Psychologist $79,010 (for 'Psychologist') 14% (for 'Psychologist')
Family Therapist $50,090 22%
School Counselor $56,310 8%
Social Worker $49,470 11%
Substance Abuse and Behavioral Disorder Counselor $44,630 22%

Source: *U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Information for Psychology Careers Working with Children

Child Psychologist

Child psychologists focus on the psychological disorders that relate specifically to children. Their studies and skills relate to child behavioral and developmental needs in particular. To become a child psychologist, you will usually need a doctorate degree in psychology, although some jobs will accept a master's in the field.

Family Therapist

Focusing on the family as a whole, family therapists assist children, parents, and siblings to work through emotional, social, or behavioral problems. They can work with individuals on a one-on-one basis or the family as a whole. In terms of education, you can find entry into the field with a master's degree in counseling or social work, or a doctoral degree in psychology. Family therapists will also be licensed and certified in accordance with state requirements.

School Counselor

School counselors are licensed and certified counselors that will hold at least a master's degree and have clinical experience. Some states also require a teaching license and classroom teaching experience. Working with school students, the job not only deals with academic guidance, such as class choices and career options, but personal matters, too. They will often help children with private and social concerns.

Social Worker

Although social work can cover a wide range of issues, many social workers choose to specialize in working with children. Much of their work is based in the community, so they spend a lot of time working with different issues affecting children and young people, such as child abuse situations, as well as providing support and dealing with problematic behavior. To become a social worker, a bachelor's degree in social work is required, although a degree at the master's level may boost your career prospects or be required for specific positions.

Substance Abuse and Behavioral Disorder Counselor

Many of these counselors work exclusively with children. They help young people work through issues related to thoughts, emotions, and perceptions that can lead to certain behaviors, including substance abuse and eating disorders. To enjoy this career, you will need a bachelor's or master's degree. Licensing and certification requirements vary from state to state.

Next: View Schools

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?