Relationship Building Jobs

Jan 19, 2020

Relationships do not only apply to couples or family members, since most people also have social and business relationships. A number of professions in fields such as education, law, healthcare and community service involve building relationships.

Career Options that Involve Relationship Building

Relationships play an important part in most people's lives. Married couples may need help at times addressing issues in their personal relationship, promoting socially appropriate behaviors may be necessary when working with children and there may be times that employers need to implement strategies to improve employee relations. Professionals who are involved with relationship building may work in a range of different contexts.

Job Title Median Salary (2018)* Job Outlook (2018-2028)*
Marriage and Family Therapists $50,090 22%
Arbitrators, Mediators and Conciliators $62,270 8%
Preschool Teachers $29,780 7%
Occupational Therapy Assistants $57,620 31%
Health Educators and Community Health Workers $46,080 11%
Human Resources Managers $113,300 7%

Source: *U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Career Information for Jobs that Involve Relationship Building

Marriage and Family Therapists

Marriage and family therapists normally need a master's degree and they must be licensed to work in this profession. They provide counseling services to couples and families. With some clients their primary focus may be on addressing ways to improve the relationship between specific individuals in the family, or to teach relationship-building strategies to all parties. They may also help foster open communication between family members so that they can resolve disputes.

Arbitrators, Mediators and Conciliators

Arbitrators, mediators and conciliators are legal professionals who are involved in resolving disputes. Depending on the nature of the dispute, these professionals may play an active role in promoting strategies to improve the relationship between the parties involved. For example, a mediator working on a custody agreement with a divorcing couple may want to promote agreements that can help them effectively co-parent their children. These professionals need a bachelor's degree; though a master's in a related field may be preferred by some employers.

Preschool Teachers

Preschool teachers may be able to start work with early childhood education certification, but many employers prefer applicants with an associate's degree. Preschool teachers lead programs designed to promote learning and socialization for children under the age of five. They foster relationship building between children by teaching them social skills and addressing inappropriate behavior if it occurs. They can also use their lessons to promote positive relationships between people of different cultures.

Occupational Therapy Assistants

Occupational therapy assistants are healthcare workers who work with patients who are disabled or have been affected by an injury or illness. Their work can involve teaching patients exercises designed to help them regain or acquire specific skills, such as tying their shoes. Occupational therapy assistants may also be involved with socialization activities with disabled children and help these children create and maintain friendships with their peers. An associate's degree and license are required to become an occupational therapy assistant.

Health Educators and Community Health Workers

Health educators must have a bachelor's degree, while community health workers can begin work with a high school diploma and on-the-job training. These professionals work with the community to address health issues. Health educators and community health workers are also active advocates, and they work with community members as well as officials and medical professionals to improve services or address specific needs. Their work can play an important role in developing community relationships, and they help facilitate communication so that the relationship between service users and providers is effective.

Human Resources Managers

Human resources managers are involved with hiring staff and addressing staff issues in the workplace. As part of their duties they may need to mediate conflicts between coworkers or employees and management. In some situations they may decide to implement policies or programs that are designed to improve relationships between staff, so they may be directly involved in building workplace relationships. A bachelor's or master's degree in human resources is required, as well as practical experience.

Next: View Schools

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?