Security Jobs that Require Travel

Do you enjoy hours on the road and potentially adrenaline-inducing situations? Learn about several jobs involving travel and the security of people and communities, and get details such as salary figures, job growth, and education requirements.

View popular schools

Career Options for Security Jobs Requiring Travel

Security can involve travel to a number of different locations, depending on the scope of your career. You might find yourself intervening in emergencies, or simply hitting the road as part of your daily routine on the job. Have a look at these careers and decide if one is the perfect fit for you!

Job Title Median Salary (2016)* Job Growth (2014-2024)*
Private Investigator $48,190 5%
Substance Abuse and Behavioral Disorder Counselor $41,070 22%
Police Officer $59,680 5%
Probation Officer $50,160 4%
Psychologist $75,230 19%
Social Worker $46,890 12%

*Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Find schools that offer these popular programs

  • Corrections Admin
  • Corrections, Probation, and Parole
  • Criminal Justice and Safety Studies
  • Criminal Science
  • Forensic Science
  • Juvenile Corrections
  • Law Enforcement Administration
  • Police Science and Law Enforcement
  • Securities Services Mgmt
  • Security and Theft Prevention Services

Career Information for Security Jobs Requiring Travel

Private Investigator

Private investigators are hired by a number of different clients to investigate activity such as fraud, infidelity, information theft, and background checks. Depending on the scope of the assignment, investigators may find themselves traveling extensively to pursue their case or simply to report to the location of their assignment. A background in law enforcement or military is beneficial in a career as a private investigator, which requires a high school diploma and, in many states, a license. Some types of private investigators, such as corporate and computer forensics investigators, need a bachelor's degree in a relevant subject.

Substance Abuse and Behavioral Disorder Counselor

Counselors who help with mental health, addiction, and eating disorders may end up counseling those who are currently in prison, those who have recently been released from prison, or juveniles in a detention center. Counselors may work in several different locations at once, and, in the event of a crisis or emergency, will need to respond quickly to the site of the problem. Employer requirements vary for counselors; a high school diploma and certification, bachelor's degree (the most common requirement), or master's degree might be necessary. Counselors who see clients privately must be licensed, which requires them to have a master's degree.

Police Officer

Police officers, or patrol officers, are those who regularly monitor their jurisdiction for any suspicious activity. Regular hours involve foot and vehicle surveillance across a specific territory, and in the event of a crime or incident, officers will be summoned to the scene. If needed, officers will also need to travel to court and testify regarding the events of a crime. Anything from a high school diploma to a college degree might be required to become a police officer, and after education, potential officers will begin at their agency's academy.

Probation Officer

Probation officers hold regular meetings with those on probation and parole, along with the family and friends of those who have been convicted. Officers will travel to the residence of those on probation to ensure that no violations are being committed, and they might also visit a parolee's place of employment. Probation officers most likely need a bachelor's degree for their career to begin.


The goal of a psychologist is to help his or her patients manage problems through strength identification. Many psychologists work in a private office, while others may work in a hospital or health center; travel between multiple facilities is common. Psychologists can also be employed inside correctional facilities. Depending on the location of each facility, long commutes may be necessary, and they will directly speak with their patients to determine the root cause of any psychological issues. A psychologist will most often need a doctoral degree - either a Ph.D. in Psychology or a Doctor of Psychology (Psy.D.) - but in some cases, such as those working in the field of industrial-organization, a master's degree may be sufficient.

Social Worker

Social workers assist people in determining and managing problems encountered in daily life. Those who are employed in correctional facilities can provide inmates with support and an open discussion about the feelings encountered during their time in prison. In the event of an emergency, social workers might have to rush to the site of the incident, and they might also follow up with inmates as they transition back into the real world. Social workers in a clinical setting are typically required to have a master's degree, although entry-level candidates in non-clinical fields are typically able to work with a bachelor's degree in social work (BSW).

Next: View Schools

What is your highest level of education?

Some College
Complete your degree or find the graduate program that's right for you.
High School Diploma
Explore schools that offer bachelor and associate degrees.
Still in High School
Earn your diploma of GED. Plan your undergraduate education.

Schools you may like:

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?