Social Work Jobs in the Military

The military has specialized social work needs that must be met to effectively assist its personnel. In this article, we'll explore a number of social work jobs that exist in the military, including career types and salary statistics.

View popular schools

Find schools that offer these popular programs

  • Adult Development and Aging
  • Child Care Management
  • Child Care Services
  • Child Development
  • Community Organization and Advocacy
  • Family and Community Services
  • Family Systems
  • Human Development and Family Studies
  • Social Work
  • Youth Services

Career Options for Social Work in the Military

Military members and their families have special needs. Serving in the military, especially if they have been fighting on the front lines, can necessitate interventions that specialized social workers can fulfill. Below, we explore some of the various social work careers in the military.

Job Title Median Salary (2016) License Required
Licensed Professional Counselor $50,840* Yes
Military and Family Life Counselor $42,000** Yes
Social Worker $46,890* Yes
Military Case Manager $53,760* Yes
Social Services Assistant $31,810* No
Employee Assistance Program Counselor $68,359*** Yes

Sources: *U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, **Psychology Career Center, ***Salary.com

Licensed Professional Counselor

A licensed professional counselor is trained to address the specific needs of service men and women. This may include post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, anxiety, stress, or other psychological issues that have occurred as a result of military life. Unlike professional counselors in the civilian world, the military licensed professional counselor is trained to deal with the specific needs of military personnel. A master's degree and possibly a doctorate in psychology or counseling is required, and these individuals must hold a license in professional counseling.

Military and Family Life Counselor

The military and family life counselor serves to supplement behavioral health services that licensed professional counselors may provide for military service men and women. Often, these social workers will be required to travel to specific areas of deployment. A master's degree is required, and sometimes post-master's clinical work is also preferred. Credentials as a licensed professional counselor (LPC) are required.

Social Worker

Military social workers understand the social and emotional impact of military life, and they help to connect care for service members. Military social workers may provide some counseling services, but they refer clients to professional counselors for more therapeutic cases. A bachelor's degree in psychology or human services is required, along with a license (check your state's requirements).

Military Case Manager

Military case managers coordinate care for service persons. Unlike the licensed professional counselor or military and family life counselor, case managers are more focused on practical issues. They coordinate and oversee care for legal matters, physical health, and/or financial needs, whereas social workers are more concerned with social and emotional issues. A master's degree is required to serve as a military case manager.

Social Services Assistant

Social services assistants work under a licensed social worker to help people with problems they may be facing. These issues may involve unemployment, divorce, transportation, or the need for home health aides. A high school diploma is the minimum requirement for working as a social services assistant.

Employee Assistance Program Counselor

Employee assistance program counselors serve military personnel. They assess the service members' problems and refer them for the appropriate benefits. They are the main contacts for the Employee Assistance Program (EAP), which is set up to help with personal or work-related issues. A master's or bachelor's degree is required, and a Certified Employee Assistance Professional certification may be preferred.

Next: View Schools

What is your highest level of education?

Some College
Complete your degree or find the graduate program that's right for you.
High School Diploma
Explore schools that offer bachelor and associate degrees.
Still in High School
Earn your diploma of GED. Plan your undergraduate education.

Schools you may like:

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

  • What is your highest level of education completed?

    • Master of Social Work - Advanced Track
    • Master of Social Work - Standard Track
    • Bachelor of Social Work - Pre-Social Work
    • B.S. General Studies - Human Services
    • B.S. General Studies - Liberal Arts
    • A.S. General Studies - Human Services
    • A.S. General Studies - Liberal Arts
    • Undergraduate Certificate - Human Services
    • Undergraduate Certificate - General Studies

    What is your highest level of education?

    • Master of Social Work

    What is your highest level of education?

  • What is your highest level of education completed?

    • Master of Liberal Arts

    What is your highest level of education?

    • Bachelor of Arts in Human Services Online
    • Associate of Arts

    What is your highest level of education completed?

  • What is your highest level of education completed?

  • What is your highest level of education?

    • Master of Social Work in Clinical Specialization
    • Master of Social Work in Community Specialization

    What is your highest level of education completed?

    • BS - Criminal Justice - Human Services

    What is your highest level of education?

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?