The Astoria area is filled with colleges and universities for prospective students to consider. From public universities to Ivy League schools, the options are ample. With so many options to choose from, prospective students are encouraged to narrow down their search using data from the National Center of Education Statistics (NCES) on a variety of different categories.
Schools Closest to Astoria, New York
Considering Astoria is in the borough of Queens, New York, there is an enormous selection of postsecondary institutions for prospective students to choose from. There are over 100 colleges, universities, and specialty schools within a 5-mile radius, and many are within walking distance. Below are the 5 schools closest to Astoria:
- CUNY LaGuardia Community College (downtown Astoria)
- LIM College (1.7 miles away)
- CUNY Hunter College (1.9 miles away)
- Marymount Manhattan College (1.9 miles away)
- Berkeley College-New York (1.9 miles away)
Largest Schools near Astoria, New York
The Astoria, New York, region is home to many large schools. There are 6 schools with over 20,000 students and an additional 15 with over 10,000. Here is a list of the largest 5 schools near Astoria:
- New York University (50,027 total students)
- Columbia University in the City of New York (28,086 total students)
- CUNY Borough of Manhattan Community College (27,309 total students)
- CUNY Hunter College (22,918 total students)
- Nassau Community College (21,558 total students)
Lowest Net Price
The net price to attend a school is determined by NCES by subtracting the amount of financial aid that full-time students receive from the total cost to attend the institution. The five schools below have the lowest net prices of schools in the Astoria, New York, area. These schools range from $3,800 to $7,200 per year.
- Nassau Community College ($3,817)
- Stella and Charles Guttman Community College ($5,988)
- CUNY New York City College of Technology ($6,671)
- CUNY Lehman College ($7,123)
- CUNY York College ($7,202)
Highest Graduation Rate
Graduation rates are determined by calculating the percentage of full-time, first-time students who completed their programs within 150% of the normal time it takes to finish the program. The following five schools have the highest graduation rates of schools in the Astoria, New York, area. These schools range from 79% to 95% graduation rate, with 2 of the 5 being Ivy League schools.
- Columbia University in the City of New York (95% graduation rate)
- Barnard College (91% graduation rate)
- Yeshiva University (88% graduation rate)
- New York University (84% graduation rate)
- Fordham University (81% graduation rate)
With so many schools to choose from near Astoria, it is imperative that prospective students weigh factors such as location, price, graduation rates, and size, to ensure they are making the best selection.