For the benefit of the average student seeking a traditional education, this article focuses on public or private non-specialty institutions located near Augusta. These colleges and universities are then categorized by proximity to Augusta, size, cost and graduation rate using data from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Augusta, Georgia
Of the traditional schools around Augusta, these five are the closest to the downtown area. Excluding Augusta Technical College, all of the following institutions are 4-year schools.
- Paine College (0.0 miles)
- Augusta University (1.3 miles)
- East Georgia State College - Augusta (1.3 miles)
- Augusta Technical College (5.5 miles)
- Strayer University - Augusta Campus (5.7 miles)
Largest Schools Near Augusta, Georgia
Generally, the colleges and universities in the Augusta area are on the smaller side in terms of their enrollment numbers. Other than Augusta University and Augusta Technical College, all of the nearby institutions have less than 1,000 students. Of the largest schools, three are 4-year institutions and two are 2-year technical schools.
- Augusta University (7,988)
- Augusta Technical College (4,269)
- Virginia College - Augusta (921)
- Paine College (848)
- Miller-Motte Technical College - Augusta (466)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
The NCES calculates a school's net price by subtracting the average amount of grant or scholarship assistance from the total cost to attend the school, which includes tuition, fees, supplies, books and average room and board costs. The following five schools are the traditional institutions that have the lowest net price around Augusta, according to NCES statistics for full-time undergraduate students.
- Augusta Technical College ($8,525)
- Augusta University ($12,157)
- Paine College ($17,308)
- Virginia College - Augusta (19,140)
- Miller-Motte Technical College - Augusta ($19,319)
Highest Graduation Rate
The overall graduation rate reported by the NCES tracks first time, full-time students to determine if a student's selected degree or certificate program is completed within 150% of the normal time it takes to finish the program. Graduation rates at the following non-specialty schools were all at or under 50%, according to the NCES.
- Miller-Motte Technical College - Augusta (50%)
- Augusta Technical College (37%)
- Augusta University (30%)
- Paine College (22%)
Of the 10 schools near Augusta, GA, there are several traditional, non-specialty institutions that offer many academic programs and vary in their costs, sizes, graduation rates and proximity to the city's downtown area.