The city of Austin, Texas, is widely known for its exciting college atmosphere. There are two state universities and one community college in the Austin area, each exceeding student populations of 35,000. The following information is provided from data via the National Center for Educational Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Austin, TX
The few public institutions in the area are all within 20 miles of Austin. The public schools will offer students the chance to work towards degrees of their choosing.
- The University of Texas at Austin (Austin)
- Austin Community College District (Austin)
- Texas State University (15.2 miles away in San Marcos)
Largest Schools Near Austin, TX
The largest schools in and around Austin all had in excess of 37,000 students, as of fall 2015. Depending on whether or not you want to attend a 2-year public school or a 4-year public school, the institutions here are rather large, when it comes to student enrollment figures.
- The University of Texas at Austin (50,950 students)
- Austin Community College District (41,574 students)
- Texas State University (37,979 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
The cost of attending college and the amount of debt a student may incur are often important factors when he or she is selecting a college. The NCES based net cost on full-time undergraduate students who began their studies in 2009 for 4-year programs and 2012 for 2-year programs, and were awarded scholarships and grants. Net cost is figured by subtracting the amount of government or financial aid the student receives from the cost of attendance.
- Austin Community College District ($7,210)
- Texas State University ($12,728)
- The University of Texas at Austin ($17,366)
Highest Graduation Rate
Schools in Austin have graduation rates ranging from 8% to 80%. With the lowest figure belonging to a community college which typically have a higher transfer rate, graduation rates for the two universities can provide some insight into the school's quality of education.
- University of Texas at Austin (80%)
- Texas State University (53%)
- Austin Community College District (8%)
Consider these public schools in Austin, Texas, by comparing them with important factors, such as graduation rate and net cost, to get a better idea of what works for you.