Online AutoCAD Courses
The following list contains descriptions of courses that focus on AutoCAD and similar programs:
- AutoCAD: The most common computer aided drafting software, AutoCAD is a complex and sophisticated program. This course introduces fundamental AutoCAD functions as well as their application in engineering drawing. Students will explore basic and advanced commands and will also learn about 3-D CAD.
- Solidworks: Solidworks is one of the most popular modeling software programs available, and this course gives students an introduction to the application. Students will learn about parametric drawing and design and use Solidworks to create 3-D parametric models.
- Geometric Tolerances: Geometric tolerancing is an essential feature of computer aided drafting, and students must be familiar with this concept if they wish to pursue a career in the field. This course analyzes important concepts and principles related to geometric tolerancing, such as form, orientation, location, position tolerances and datums.
- Mechanisms: A mechanisms online course examines the parts inside of machines that make them work. Students will learn about various mechanical parts and their functions, including linkages, bearings, speed reducers and types of drives.
- Print Reading: This online course will teach students how to properly and effectively read blueprints, with a focus on drafting. Dimensions, auxiliary views, sections and 2-D view projections are some of the subjects covered in coursework.
- Manufacturing Processes: Manufacturing processes is an online course examining types of materials and methods of manufacturing them. Topics discussed in this course will also include material handling, molding and casting, as well as a look at the future of manufacturing.
AutoCAD courses can be found in online drafting technologies certificate, diploma and associate's degree programs. In an online AutoCAD course, students explore techniques to make computerized architectural, engineering and technical plans. Some courses may prepare students for the Certified Associate Autodesk exam. Readings, exams, assignments and projects are all presented and turned in through distance-learning educational platforms such as WebCT Blackboard. Students can, and are often required to, use such interfaces to post messages, chat with peers and e-mail professors.
Students will need Microsoft Windows, the operating system that runs AutoCAD. While compatibility programs allow users to run Windows through a Macintosh computer, there is no direct compatibility between Macs and AutoCAD software, and some schools offering AutoCAD classes prohibit coursework from being completed on a Mac. This generally necessitates access to a desktop or laptop personal computer at home or in an office setting.
AutoCAD courses require students to complete numerous, escalating projects using the software. Consequently, students must have access to the AutoCAD program, and some online courses provide a free download of the needed software with enrollment in the course. Additionally, online students living relatively close to the physical campus location where the course is being offered have full access to the school's facilities, all of which have at least some computers equipped with AutoCAD.
Online learning in AutoCAD subjects can be found at the certificate, diploma and associate's degree levels and require students to have access to a Windows-compatible computer. Courses cover topics such as mechanisms, blueprints, solidworks and other related areas involving AutoCAD.