The Bakersfield, CA, area is home to 9 schools; a combination of 2- and 4-year colleges and universities of both the private and public variety. Students will consider data from the National Center for Education Statistics, covering topics such as distance from Bakersfield, student population, price, and graduation rate.
Schools Near Bakersfield
All 9 schools in the Bakersfield area are less than 10 miles away. In this vicinity, students can choose from public or private schools, or small or large schools. Below are the 4 traditional schools closest to Bakersfield.
- Bakersfield College (4.0 miles away)
- San Joaquin Valley College (5.8 miles away)
- Santa Barbara Business College (5.8 miles away)
- California State University (9.8 miles away)
Largest Schools Near Bakersfield
While one school close to Bakersfield has a large student population, most other schools in the area enroll far fewer students per year. Below are the 3 largest schools near Bakersfield.
- Bakersfield College (18,698 total students)
- California State University (8,720 total students)
- Santa Barbara Business College (562 total students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
The net prices for full-time students in the Bakersfield area ranged from about $4,400-$19,200 in 2014-2015, according to the NCES. In order to determine the net price, the NCES took the cost of attendance at a school and subtracted any aid offered by the government or institution. Below are the 3 cheapest traditional schools near Bakersfield.
- Bakersfield College ($4,412)
- California State University ($6,376)
- Santa Barbara Business College ($19,204)
Highest Graduation Rates
The NCES reported that the graduation rates in the Bakersfield area for traditional schools ranged from 20% to 47%. The rates included below look at students who earned their degrees within 150% of normal graduation time. This length of time is typically three years for an associate degree and six years for a bachelor's degree.
- Santa Barbara Business College (47% graduation rate)
- California State University-Bakersfield (39% graduation rate)
- Bakersfield College (20% graduation rate)
In the hunt for the right college, prospective students near Bakersfield can look to NCES data to help them make an informed education decision.