Beauty schools can be found across the country, offering students an education into cosmetology, the salon business and other aspects of working within the beauty industry. Beauticians are required to be licensed in order to provide services.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Aesthetician and Skin Care
- Barber and Hair Cutting Services
- Beauty Salon Management
- Cosmetology, Hair, and Nail Instructor
- Facial Treatment Specialist
- Hair Design
- Make-Up Artist
- Nail Technician - Manicurist
- Permanent Cosmetics and Tattooing
10 Beauty Schools in the U.S.
There are many beauty schools to choose from and students may want to factor in location and price when making their decision. Here are ten beauty schools across the country that may be of interest:
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Degrees Offered||Undergraduate Tuition (2015-2016)*|
|Delta College||University Center, MI||2-year, Public||Associate's||$3,395 in-district, $5,270 in-state, $9,770 out-of-state|
|Lincoln College||Lincoln, IL||4-year, Private not-for-profit||Undergraduate certificate||$17,700|
|Mott Community College||Flint, MI||2-year, Public||1-2 year certificate, 2-4 year certificate, Associate's||$3,668 in-district, $5,041 in-state, $6,911 out-of-state|
|Northeast Alabama Community College||Rainsville, AL||2-year, Public||0-1 year certificate, 1-2 year certificate, Associate's||$4,320 in-state, $7,770 out-of-state|
|Salt Lake Community College||Salt Lake City, UT||2-year, Public||1-2 year certificate, Associate's||$3,569 in-state, $11,337 out-of-state|
|Northwest-Shoals Community College||Muscle Shoals, AL||2-year, Public||0-1 year certificate, 1-2 year certificate, Associate's||$4,291 in-state, $7,741 out-of-state|
|Oakland Community College||Bloomfield Hills, MI||2-year, Public||Associate's||$2,745 in-district, $5,235 in-state, $7,305 out-of-state|
|Sacramento City College||Sacramento, CA||2-year, Public||0-1 year certificate, 1-2 year certificate, Associate's||$1,104 in-state, $7,440 out-of-state|
|Florida State College at Jacksonville||Jacksonville, FL||4-year, Public||Undergraduate certificate||$2,830 in-state, $9,944 out-of-state|
|Schoolcraft College||Livonia, MI||2-year, Public||Associate's||$3,564 in-district, $4,854 in-state, $6,834 out-of-state|
Source: National Center for Education Statistics
School Selection Criteria
Remember the following as you select a beauty school:
- Not all schools teach students to perform every beauty task, so students should make sure that a program covers the cosmetology skills desired.
- Make sure to check a beauty school's credentials when applying to schools, since aspiring beauticians may need to attend a state-approved school to meet licensure requirements.
- Programs can last anywhere between 9-36 months depending on whether they are part- or full-time, so make sure to choose the program that fits best with your graduation needs and work schedule.
- Because facilities vary from school-to-school, you'll want to make sure that the school you choose has adequate resources and salon services for your chosen specialty.
Attending beauty school gives students the skills required to work as cosmetologists, cosmetology instructors or salon managers. Over the course of these programs, students will complete a great deal of practical training and classroom learning, while gaining some experience working within a salon.