Most of the more traditional public and private schools in the greater Biloxi region are a little bit of a drive. We take an in-depth look at the traditional schools allowing prospective students to see if any of these options are worth pursuing further, using data from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Biloxi, Mississippi
The closest schools to Biloxi are mostly specialty schools with limited program options. Of the traditional schools, the closest ones are all 2-year institutions.
- Virginia College-Biloxi (5.1 miles from downtown)
- Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College (27.4 miles from downtown)
- Pearl River Community College (48.6 miles from downtown)
- Antonelli College-Hattiesburg (68.2 miles from downtown)
- Pearl River Community College-Forrest County Center (68.2 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Biloxi, Mississippi
The largest schools near Biloxi are primarily public institutions, although there are some bigger private schools available. Only a couple of the big schools offer graduate degree programs.
- University of Southern Mississippi (14,551 students)
- Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College (9,391 students)
- Pearl River Community College (4,379 students)
- William Carey University (4,224 students)
- Virginia College-Biloxi (313 students)
Lowest Net Price
Cost can be a major deciding factor for choice of school. The NCES provides the estimated net price for the 2014-2015 school year by taking the average amount of financial aid for a full-time undergrad from the total cost of attendance. The two schools with the lowest net prices in the area were community colleges.
- Pearl River Community College ($1,649)
- Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College ($6,655)
- University of Southern Mississippi ($12,055)
- William Carey University ($15,026)
- Virginia College-Biloxi ($18,659)
Highest Graduation Rates
The overall graduation rates reported by the NCES represent full-time undergraduate students who graduated within 150% of the 'normal time' it takes to complete their degree program (e.g., six years for a bachelor's degree). Several schools (including specialty schools) in the Biloxi area had graduation rates of 50% or greater for 2015.
- William Carey University (54% graduation rate)
- Antonelli College-Hattiesburg (53% graduation rate)
- University of Southern Mississippi (50% graduation rate)
- Virginia College-Biloxi (30% graduation rate)
- Pearl River Community College (29% graduation rate)
There is some variation in location, size, price, and graduation rates among the handful of traditional public and private institutions in the Biloxi, Mississippi, area.