Aspiring college students looking to begin their educational journey in Blacksburg, Virginia, have a couple of options within the area. We highlight the traditional colleges and universities in an effort to assist students with their academic decisions. A variety of information and statistics from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) are used to compare these schools.
Closest Schools to Blacksburg, Virginia
Students may wish to attend school close to home or a place of work. Students near Blacksburg have mostly 4-year institutions to choose from, the offer both undergraduate and graduate programs. The schools closest to downtown Blacksburg are:
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (1.9 miles from downtown)
- Radford University (12.4 miles from downtown)
- New River Community College (17.1 miles from downtown)
- Roanoke College (18.8 miles from downtown)
- Hollins University (21.2 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Blacksburg, Virginia
The largest schools near Blacksburg are primarily public institutions. Overall, the schools in the area range in size from very small with less than 100 students, to rather large with more than 10,000 students.
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (32,663 students)
- Radford University (9,743 students)
- Virginia Western Community College (7,932 students)
- New River Community College (4,477 students)
- Roanoke College (2,001 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
For many students looking at a college, price is often an important factor. In order to determine the net tuition costs of a school, the NCES takes the cost of attendance and then subtracts the average amount of financial aid offered by the government or institution for full-time undergrads. The net price reported by the NCES is from 2014-2015, and in the Blacksburg area ranged from about $6,000-$30,000.
- New River Community College ($6,384)
- Virginia Western Community College ($6,678)
- Radford University ($13,903)
- Hollins University ($18,014)
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University ($18,398)
Highest Graduation Rate
The top four schools in the Blacksburg area had graduation rates above 50% for 2015, according to the NCES. Students reflected in these rates were full-time undergraduates enrolled in a bachelor's degree program in 2009 and graduated with a degree in six years, or 150% of the 'normal' time.
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (83% graduation rate)
- Roanoke College (66% graduation rate)
- Radford University (59% graduation rate)
- Hollins University (57% graduation rate)
- Virginia Western Community College (22% graduation rate)
Although the Blacksburg, VA, area does not have too many schools, the public and private institutions available still provide students with different choices based on location, size, price, and graduation rates.