School options in and around Bloomington, IN, include 2-year and 4-year public schools as well as several private 4-year universities. Compare the traditional schools in this area using information complied by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Bloomington, Indiana
There are a handful of traditional schools found less than 45 miles from Bloomington. Most of the schools that are closest to Bloomington are private institutions, but some public schools are available.
- Indiana University - Bloomington (6.3 miles from downtown)
- Ivy Tech Community College - Bloomington (9.1 miles from downtown)
- Harrison College - Columbus (32.7 miles from downtown)
- Ivy Tech Community College - Columbus (32.7 miles from downtown)
- Purdue University - Purdue Polytechnic Columbus (32.7 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Bloomington, Indiana
For students wishing to attend a larger school, there are several schools in the Bloomington area that have student populations greater than 1,000. The five largest schools are all 4-year colleges and three of them offer both graduate and undergraduate programs.
- Indiana University - Bloomington (46,416 students)
- University of Indianapolis (5,442 students)
- Harrison College - Indianapolis (3,498 students)
- Marian University (2,771 students)
- DePauw University (2,215 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
Another significant factor for students to consider when choosing a school is the total cost of attendance. Comparing colleges' net costs gives students an opportunity to compare schools based on the real cost of attendance since NCES calculates net cost by subtracting the average amount of financial aid a student receives from the total cost of attending the school for a full-time undergrad. The majority of the schools in the Bloomington area have a net price that is lower than $25,000 for 2014-2015.
- Ivy Tech Community College - Bloomington ($6,416)
- Ivy Tech Community College - Columbus ($6,416)
- Purdue University - Purdue Polytechnic Columbus ($11,643)
- Purdue University - Purdue Polytechnic Indianapolis ($11,643)
- Indiana University - Bloomington ($13,289)
Highest Graduation Rate
NCES calculates graduation rates based upon the percentage of full-time undergrad students who complete their degree or certificate program within 150% of 'normal time' (e.g. 6 years to complete a bachelor's degree). Schools in the Bloomington area have a range of graduation rates from 23% up to 86% for students who started a bachelor's degree program in 2009.
- DePauw University (82% graduation rate)
- Indiana University - Bloomington (77% graduation rate)
- Franklin College (60% graduation rate)
- University of Indianapolis (57% graduation rate)
- Marian University (56% graduation rate)
Bloomington, IN, and the surrounding area are home to private and public institutions that vary in graduation rates, price, size, and location.